• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

public shooting ranges- just had to ask

Looking for a shooting range with 100-200 yard targets i know i know the DNR has a list of ranges but they are so vague in detail and dont specify weather its private or public and some have no websites or contact info at all

i need to check how accurate my handgun is and trying to see what .308 ammo it likes and shoots best with. TC Encore handgun shooting a .308win YES a handgun of that type exist so i dont want to hear about legality and such and i dont want to hear junk about it not being able to reach out that far because as a matter a fact it can i own the gun here not you so no mumbo jumbo i get enough of it on other forums its anoying

back to the ranges- looking for 100 and 200 yard targets maybe even 300 and the range must be open to the public we just cant afford to be members since we do not shoot continuously all year right now we are looking for best ammo for our gun so we can plan ahead and buy ammunition right now when they are cheap online and at stores. Bills gun shop is only 50 yards and there rest and benches just the way its all set up is not efficient to shoot well plus lighting is a issue to see thru the scope at times so thats out of the equation. Looking for ranges in the metro area Hennipen county anoka county and others close by and not too far away.

This topic is talked about in previous posts.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...GUN#Post2045880

I would say your best bet is to make friends with someone who is a member at range and take you shooting. Unfortunately based on the tone of the opening post I don't if you'll get many offers.

My lord, how do you walk around let alone shoot with a chip like that on you shoulder. Best check you attitude at the door when you get to whatever range it is you are going to.

Bald Eagle Sportsman's Association in Hugo is the only one I know that does weekend open shooting for non-members. $10 bucks a gun on Saturdays only.

But please, let us all know where and when you go. Some may want to come out and see the greatest shooter of all time. That or avoid it like the plague, god forbid someone asks you about your gun, or fires off a round while you are concentrating...

HandGunner:

Not to get off topic but have you tried this site. Site owner is a long range pistol shooter himself.

wwwdotlongrangehuntingdotcom

Just thought I would offer that up if you have not already been there.

Wisconsin based as well. Very good shooting site.

WG

Elk River Sportsmans Club is the only super long one around, that I know of. But it's private. (they have up to 600 yd)

Quote:

ppl tell me things about handguns that they dont know about i get this a lot on other forums and its super anoying.

If you're getting it from a lot of places, maybe you should take a hint.

And please, please, please, dont even consider shooting that pistol at a deer at 300 yards. You're going to have to aim 6 feet over it and chances are your gonna miss it or worse yet, wound it. If I brought someone hunting that attempted that, I would probably never bring them back and more likely would pop them one in the jaw.

This is kinda how I feel about pistols, with regards to hunting. (even though you dont want to hear it.)

Quote:

Here's something to remember: What rides on your hip is a poor excuse for a real weapon. It doesn't matter who made it, what caliber it is, which custom features it has or how much it cost. It is just a handgun, a tool you carry because it's small and nifty and there's a remote chance you might need to defend yourself.

However, no one but a fool would intentionally go into harm's way armed only with a handgun. It is a "sidearm," a tool with significant limitations.

Handguns by their very nature are difficult to shoot well, compared to rifles. They lack penetration and have lackluster terminal performance and limited magazine capacity. On top of this, their range is limited, and most standard service rounds are easily defeated by body armor.

And please, please, please, dont even consider shooting that pistol at a deer at 300 yards. You're going to have to aim 6 feet over it and chances are your gonna miss it or worse yet, wound it. If I brought someone hunting that attempted that, I would probably never bring them back and more likely would pop them one in the jaw.

This is kinda how I feel about pistols, with regards to hunting. (even though you dont want to hear it.)

Sorry, but there are several very good "handguns" out there shooting what we would consider to be rifle cartridges, and in competent hands are MORE than capable of doing the job efficiently. I've fired several, and would be more than willing to use them out to 300 yards, in proper conditions. Most of the guys shooting these seriously actually believe the old saying "its a one-shot world."

Archery:

Is Harris revamping to include now a 600 yard range? WG

I don't know if they are putting in a dedicated 600 yard range. The 1000 Meter has bunkers at all the ranges out to a 1000 so you can shoot 600 if you want.

The Gopher Rifle & Revolver Club was organized in the early Forties by a group of employees from Onan Company who shared an interest in firearms and shooting. Range facilities were developed on land leased from Anoka county in what is now Bunker Lake Park, Bunker Prairie Park and Coon Rapids Golf Course complex. As a result of the park and urban development, the range was forced to close in the early Sixties. A site was found in 1970 near Harris, MN. which could accommodate a 1,000 yard rifle range, and this initial plot has grown to its current size of 342 acres. Conservation and range development are on-going programs and many thousands of cubic yards of earth have been rearranged while preserving much of the areas’ original condition.

On the property, we have a multi-purpose range with backstops at 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters; a shotgun trap range with an electric thrower in a target house and 5 stations and a separate sporting clays tower; a 25 and 50 yard pistol range; a Blackpowder range with targets set at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards and a Highpower range with target pits and 20 carriers with the firing lines currently at 100, 200, 300, 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. The remainder of the property is about 100 acres of woods, 50 acres of swamps and ponds and another 50 acres’ of grassy fields which include a picnic and camping area. The range is open to members 365 days a year but the general public is only allowed access for the scheduled matches.

just the reply I knew I was going to get, the instant most ppl think of when they hear handgun is 9mm 357 38 specials and all that, but like I stated mines has a 15 inch barrel shooting a .308 win rifle round the firearm is specificly built for hunting, 300 yards on deer? i wouldnt but 200 yards? yea i would, my uncle has taken deer out at 200 yards with his S&W 460 and never had issues.

you are only as good as you feel comfterble with yes I do plan to shoot out to 300 yards but not on game on paper to test out accuracy and the firearms capabilities

put it simple you would take a 300 yard shot on a deer with a 308 rifle but wouldnt with a 308 handgun but would you take a 500-600 yard shot on a deer with a 308 rifle?

When does the distance for a rifle become too far were you can limit it like you do with a handgun like mines?

Im trying to say just because its a handgun does not mean it has no effectiveness at all.

If you only want to shoot a few times a year, it might be worth the drive. Rainbow Sportsman's club near Cokato in W central MN is $25/year to be a member. They have a 200 yard open range. There are benches set up, but they don't get in the way if you want to simulate field conditions.

Other than that, to get the distance you want all the local clubs by you are private as far as I know but some do have day use or sight in options available at a daily rate.

Just remembered another one. Balsam Lake sportsman's club (WI) is $25 per year. They have a 200 yard berm. It's a little difficult to shoot 100 yards other than off the bench but at 200 you can shoot just to the right of the benches easily.

just the reply I knew I was going to get, the instant most ppl think of when they hear handgun is 9mm 357 38 specials and all that, but like I stated mines has a 15 inch barrel shooting a .308 win rifle round the firearm is specificly built for hunting, 300 yards on deer? i wouldnt but 200 yards? yea i would, my uncle has taken deer out at 200 yards with his S&W 460 and never had issues.

you are only as good as you feel comfterble with yes I do plan to shoot out to 300 yards but not on game on paper to test out accuracy and the firearms capabilities

put it simple you would take a 300 yard shot on a deer with a 308 rifle but wouldnt with a 308 handgun but would you take a 500-600 yard shot on a deer with a 308 rifle?

When does the distance for a rifle become too far were you can limit it like you do with a handgun like mines?

Im trying to say just because its a handgun does not mean it has no effectiveness at all.

First off let me say that I applaud you for your effort. But you need to learn when enough is enough. People gave you plenty of options, but you were after the HANDGUN reaction that you are after all the time. You are tossing out statements looking for a reaction and then getting all wound up when you get it. Its called Trolling, it has some entertainment value but in the end...

A .308 handgun is just that, a HANDGUN. It just happens to be in a rifle caliber. What you are over looking is that it was designed to be fired from 20"+ barreled RIFLES. To shoot one from an encore pistol is just to shoot a big pistol. It is still a rifle round, with powder, primer, and case designed to be shot from a rifle. to get the best performance from the round it needs to be shot from a rifle. To compare a .308 handgun to a .460 smith Is rediculous at best. A .460 was designed as a pistol round, to be shot as a pistol round. Its design, both the round itself and the gun it is fired from, reflect that. Bullet, case, primer, powder, all designed to get the most effective performace from a handgun. The encore in .308 is just a way around using a rifle in a shotgun zone. But hey, if you want to toss bullets willy nilly at deer 200+ yards out with your toy be my guest.

Of coarse what I am over looking here is that you know everything there is to know about shooting and hunting with handguns... If you know so much, why bother asking questions? Perhaps we should be asking you... And if I may add to my statement above, not only would I like to know were you decide to go shoot your new toy so I may avoid the area like the plague, I would also like to know the area you plan to take 200+ yard shots with a handgun at deer so I may avoid that area as well... And dont come back at me about the "effectiveness" of hunting deer with a handgun, I've been there, they work. But like any tool you need to know when and when not to use it.

Good luck kid....