• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting Question

Hey guys,

i need to paint my aluminum canoe this year some time before duck season. Im wondering what kind or brand of paint you use so the paint wont chip or scrape off from trees or branches when i hit them. Just looking for durable paint. Or even spray paint? never thought of that?

Thanks,

Cody

I believe you will need an etching primer to cover any of the areas that are bare aluminum. Then you can really paint it with whatever type of paint you want to.

There is a ton of great information on the web, and even in the "boats and motors" board about painting aluminum boats.

We painted an old alumacraft canoe with some of the camo spraypaint that you can get at fleet farm. It seemed to work, but I sold the boat the next spring so I don't know how it held up over time.

Hey guys,

i need to paint my aluminum canoe this year some time before duck season. Im wondering what kind or brand of paint you use so the paint wont chip or scrape off from trees or branches when i hit them. Just looking for durable paint. Or even spray paint? never thought of that?

Thanks,

Cody

I have painted a few aluminum boats, canoes and fiberglass duck boats. There really is no bullet proof paint that will not get nicked up when your loading and unloading them and sliding them through the brush or muck! You may just get some cheaper stuff from FF or some where and touch them up each season. wink

I believe you will need an etching primer to cover any of the areas that are bare aluminum. Then you can really paint it with whatever type of paint you want to. ...

You can also use Comet cleanser and it will basically give the same result.