• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When will the fish move shallow

ted4887

Generally speaking, what water temps will draw the panfish into the shallows. I'd read in another thread 62-66* water is what the crappies preferto spawn in, but I can't find that thread to see if there was more elaboration. So, when do you tend to find the panfish moving shallow again?

On good panfish lakes your going to get two major spring movements. The first is just before the ice go's off (late ice)or right as it go's off. This movement is strickly a feeding move, the shallows warm-up and the food chain comes back on-line. The second movement is the true spawning move and that is based on moon phase and water temp.

I waded a new spot the other day. From google maps, it looked like a sand flat and for about 10 feet from shore it was...then it was all muck. There were no fish shallow, water was still cold (40F range), and as usual the wind picked up as soon as I got my fly line through the guides crazy

I might try to get out to an old spot after work and see what happens. If I get any new info on fish position I'll post it up here.

This warm weather got them moving a bit today.. caught around 20 in the hour i had to fish... bout 15ft from shore... no sure what the water temp was.. left the thermometer in the car.. was taking them on a fly tipped with a Alive! Maggot

Went out to lake winona today around 12:45-2:45 and only managed a nibble...w..t..f...every other time I had been out this spring 7 fish wasn't a problem. Bad timing maybe? I plan on heading out towards dusk tonight to see if that was it.