• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swing away tongue?

bassfshin24

I want to put a swing away tongue on my boat trailer this spring. Does anyone know where I could get this done? I know some people have said you can do this yourself but I just dont have the tools to get this done. Any suggestion for the Roseville area to have this done.

I want to put a swing away tongue on my boat trailer this spring. Does anyone know where I could get this done? I know some people have said you can do this yourself but I just dont have the tools to get this done. Any suggestion for the Roseville area to have this done?

A few years ago I bought a 1 year old boat from a guy on a prostaff. I needed a swing tongue on it so I took it to a local dealer who carried that brand of trailer. They had to order the parts but did a really nice job on it and I had it back in just a few days.

I did it myself on my boat trailer... Pretty much you can borrow tools from your friends if they have it...

What you would need are: Reciporating Saw with metal blade or an angle grinder with metal cutting wheel, along with drill and drill bits... then the installation would require wrenches and torque wrench... or if you prefer, welded on... If you're going to do it yourself, watch out for the wiring!!!

Otherwise, your best bet would be to contact marine shops or fabricating shops..

Good luck!

Hannay's in Minneapolis bolts them on too. They also stock the bolt on kits for anyone else reading this that wants to do it themselves.

I did it myself a few years ago and it was cheap, easy (although it's time consuming to drill all the holes) and has worked out great.

If you search these forums I think I posted pictures after I did it.

For those of you that have already done this, after the cutting was done did you do any filing to trim down the sharp edges from the shavings or does the coupler just cover all of that up? Or is there something to coat edge with or cover edge with? Would hate to get a nasty cut or something from that new edge on the tongue.

For those of you that have already done this, after the cutting was done did you do any filing to trim down the sharp edges from the shavings or does the coupler just cover all of that up? Or is there something to coat edge with or cover edge with? Would hate to get a nasty cut or something from that new edge on the tongue.

Also you don't want those sharp edges cutting your trailer light wires. I sanded all the edges down with a sanding disc and wrapped the wires in a plastic casing.