• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab puppy question

Look-A-Like

I have a 14 week old yellow lab puppy that is going to be a house dog. She is crate trained in the house and very seldom barks or cries. Now that the weather has started to get nice I would like to start leaving her in my outside kennel instead of locked in the inside crate. The last couple of days I’ve taken her food outside and fed her in the outside kennel and as soon as she finishes she starts barking and crying. Not wanting to irritate the neighbors I have just gone out and brought her inside right away. My question is how do I get her to like spending time in the outside kennel with out razing a fit?

You might have to irritate the neibors for a little while, just like when you crate trained her in the house, if you let her out every time she cries, she's training you. Go talk to them and explaine to them what your trying to do, appologise for any inconvience and tell them hopfully it will only be for a short time, if it continues when she is older you may have to resort to a bark collar, but most likely if she is quiet in the house she will learn to be quiet outside as well.

Yes I had to put up with quite a bit of crying when I first brought her home but she settled down after the first couple of nights in the crate. Will start leaving her outside tomorrow when the neighbors are at work and let her bark and cry until she settles down. Thanks!!

You might also want to run her for a while throwing a ball or going for a walk in the morning to "wear" her out a little before putting in the outside kennel. She may want to take a nap instead of barking.

Also try leaving her crate out in the kennel so she could rest in a place she is comfortable for a while.

How about dog in kennel first. Gets food when the whining/barking stops. Food is the best training device ever invented for labs.

Will probably start barking as soon as food is done. Break meal in half, quarters, eighths. Labs don't judge portion size, just another meal to them. Quiet in kennel = another meal.

Great advice from all you guys on moving my pup to the outside kennel. Started using your suggestions yesterday and she went from a whining, barking pain in the butt to a content little pup. We just came back from a long walk in a public hunting area, put her in the kennel and when I just looked outside she is laying down in her crate enjoying the day without a single cry or bark. Thanks again for all your help!!

Happy lab owner.