• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did my first bow setup today. Success!

After several issues with my setup this past fall and an impending archery turkey hunt I decided I needed to make a move on my setup. I've been practicing quite a bit and although I've been shooting rather well, but its been inconsistent. I figured if I couldn't figure it out myself I would take it to the shop, so I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Things I was concerned about was the angle of my drop-away prong (its not falling flat) and it seems like I'm getting arrow contact on the prong cause its peeling up the moleskin. I had a new string put on this summer and clearly my accessories weren't as they should be.

I put my bow in my bow vise in the garage and set the bow level on all three planes. Once I was convinced the bow was level. I took notice of my rest, nock point and sight. I found a few things that weren't lined up properly. After watching a few videos online and reading a couple set up instructions I thought I might be able to make the necessary changes.

I reinstalled my rest in the proper position and set the fallaway timing. This required raising my nocking point a solid 1/8" and maybe more. Once I set the arrow slightly higher than level I tied a few knots on each side of the nock and then reinstalled my nock loop.

After some sight adjustments I was hitting 1" low at 10yds. Thats close enough to stretch it out. At 20yds I was still low so I made an adjustment and hit the bullseye, literally. I was able able to shoot FOB's through my bow for the first time. I finally have enough clearance and proper rest timing to accomplish this.

Tomorrow I'm going to try shooting through paper and make sure everything else looks good and then maybe stretch the distance to 40yds. I'm hoping now my shots will be more consistent.

Cool! Great work!

How do you like the FOBs? I tried them a few years ago, but couldn't get past the non-traditional look. I just like the look of a nice, clean arrow with purdy fletchings on it...

I don't have a feeling one way or the other on the FOB's. I don't feel like they perform any better than a fletch, but they are low maintenance and easy to repair. Almost all of my arrows have cuts in the vanes and I fell like the FOB's are more durable.

So I've hit the range the last two days to get re-sighted in. I use an HHA slider sight. I decided to start that from scratch too rather than just reusing my old sight tape blindly. I've gotten extremely accurate at 20yds. I broke one FOB and I also got a robin hood today, all while hitting a 1" spot. I know I shouldn't shoot groups like that, but I wanted to make sure I was getting my sight-in dead on. Mission accomplished.

I think I've got my 40yd shot dialed in but I want to shoot another couple days before I commit to a sight tape. SO far my sight tape HAS changed from the one I was using.

I think the most important thing I've gained from this is confidence. Confidence in my shooting ability, in my ability to work on my own equipment and in my ability to diagnose problems in my gear. Having confidence in your setup is the number one way to shoot better. No gadget can give you that.