• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Motor Hours

Walleye #1

Found a 2009 75HP Mercury Optimax today, used. Has a very good price and the place said they would do a trade in on my 1995 Mercury...anyways tryin to figure our more about this engine..they said it was a former rental that had 900 hours on it...kind of a novice...is that considered alot of motor hours??

Any advice?

Finding that the tiller arms are not all that cheap either..I have a tiller set up in my boat, and so many of these motors aren't tillers any more and Mercury doesn't even make a 75HP Tiller, unless you custom order it.

That's alot of hours for Mn,May,june july aug sept =5 months 4 weekends amonth 20 weekends at 10 hrs aweekend=200 hrs a year the motor ran 09,10 its now 11.How many hours does a normal motor run a week in Mn, 10 would be skiing 5 hours Sat and Sun.It has 2 and 1/2 that time on it.LOTS of hours for Mn.!!

I have a friend retired fishes most every day doesnt run that motor more than ywo hours a day I'd guess? going out then using elec.motor and motor in 5 days a week still =10 hours aweek june july aug =12-13 weeks X 10 =130 hours a season.2 years 260. 900 WOW!

yeah figure on 100 hours per season in MN. And that's if you are out that consistently as described above.

900 hours is high for just 2-3 seasons. plus rentals, just like cars, probably take more abuse from crazy renters who like to run and gun, pushing it to the max.

how do you check for hours on a boat motor?

On newer motors with a ECM you have to ask the dealer to connect it to a scanner and it will tell the hours.

Just like a car computer, same principle.