• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lyme and Leptospirosis vaccinations

Glock

I'm curious on everyone's feelings on these vaccinations. I currently hunt in southwestern Minnesota and South Dakota. I know Lyme is getting pretty common in northern Minnesota but do you guys that don't hunt up north get either of these vaccinations?

thanks,

Glock

I did a lot of research on the Lymes vaccination and for years discontinued giving it to my dogs. Then I found out about Muriel's new approach to 'vaccinating' which was to cause a protein to grow on the dogs skin, so at the time of ingestion, the tick takes in the protein and the Lyme bacteria dies inside of the tick... Research was showing an almost 100% effectiveness in a controlled study...

Fort Dodge's vaccination (at the time) was trying to produce antibodies to fght off infection, but creating vaccinations for a bacteria related disease is very hard... they work better with viral disease. When I got my vet to switch over to Muriel, I again started vaccinating.

I haven't gotten the Lepto vaccinations yet, but have been starting to read up on it. It sounds like it can become a bigger problem than Lyme disease in the not so distant future.

Good Luck!

Ken

I got the lepto shots last fall for both of my dogs because of the upland hunting they were more exposed to that. I never really seen a tick on either one of my dogs other than when we went grousin up by Duluth one day.

I may look into it this fall when they go in for their re-ups.

Been getting Lyme's for my dog for years now. She's not a hunting dog but spends a lot of time in the woods in northern MN/WI and picks up a lot of ticks.

When I moved up north (Duluth area) last year was in the vet she suggested the Lepto vaccine. Said the disease can come from either deer or coon if either has urinated in the grass so forth. I trust my vet so I didn't look into it further just had them give it to the dog. But again I live northern MN and in the country with lots of deer and coons around and basically go on the recommendations of my local vet.

Glock,

I have been getting the lymes shots annually for my dogs and they still both got lymes disease. That being said I still do the shots because the woods in our area is loaded with deer ticks.I'm not familiar with Lepto??

Same here...Vet actually told me I didn't need that Vac anymore cause he wasen't seeing it work. He said frontline was good enough.

Rustysetter,

As bikeoutback mentioned it is transmitted through the urine of an animal. If you dog contacts it (an example would be is drinking contaiminated water i.e those nasty stagnate puddles or pools of water that everyone sees at their favorite hunting spots).

Glock

Ive been doing the the lepto shots for my dogs for two years now. My vet actually has it joined it with their yearly distemper shot, so one shot equals cheaper now. The vet also informed me this year that if your dog did pick up the disease that you the owner is prone to get the disease from your dog.

Any one now the price difference in between the lyme shot and frontline.

I figured I would do a follow on my original post with the thought that someday someone might do a search on this and want to know. I did decide to get the Leptospirosis vaccination. In calling several of my local vets, the majority advised to get it. The feeling was that if your dog spent anytime in the outdoors, the chance of contact is there. Lyme was more of a 50/50 split, both everyone did at least advise the use of some type of tick preventive.

Glock

Must remember only about ten percent of dogs can actually get the Lyme disease. If you have your dog checked it probally has been exposed if the dog is active. If you use Frontline or use Vectra 3D you should be fine. The Vectra 3D also repels Mosquitoes so helps with heartworm. If you use frontline of Vectra the ticks are killed when bite. I believe it is better than getting bit and then hoping the Vac. works.

so is anyone getting the lepto vaccine or no? I called the vet and she said that they dont include lepto with the dhpp annual shots. it would be dhlpp if they did but just wondering if anyone does this shot seperate. the vet also told me that most people in this area dont do the lepto shots and that it is rare for them to even get it, said it was easier to treat being that there are like 9 strands of it and the shot only covers like 3-4...so they could get it even with the shot.

i live in eastern sd now so thats just what they told me here...anyone else hear anything different??

From what my vet told me i will probably not get the shot for my dog...

I think the majority of the people get it as a seperate shot. You are corect in there are several strains of Lepto. It's interesting on the different thoughts on if it should be given. Might like a flu shot for humans. If you get it and don't get sick did the shot prevent you from contracting it or did you just get lucky?

I spend the $20 bucks getting the shot. Its worth it so the dog doesn't have to go thru the sickness and problems if they do contract it. My dogs are always running around our property (in the country) , fields , woods so there is plenty opportunity to come in contact with wild animal residue. From what I hear, Lepto is not a pretty disease to contract, so I would spend the money rather than have your dog be the unlucky one!

My guess is that they are probably targetting the higher occuring strains in the shots so your percentages should be higher in preventing it.

Another factor to consider is that if you have kids---the dog can transfer Lepto to them. I have a a 4 & 7 yr old and I'm getting the shots for my dog this week. Heard from my vet there have been a few confirmed cases of dogs in the Stillwater area---and I'm close to that. They think the dogs contracted while hunting in SD.

well no kids here but i would if I had little ones around.

The vet also told me that it makes the dog sick getting the shot? anyone experienced this?

I have a 2.5 yr old gsp.

Maybe Ill have to try another vet to see what they say.

The vet also told me that it makes the dog sick getting the shot? anyone experienced this?

Mine both got the shot last fall (GSP 5 months - Choc Lab 16 months) for the first time and neither one had any adverse affects. They got it with the normal DHP/Rabies shots and both were Ok, running around the yard etc when we got home.

In the last month, I know of 8 dogs getting this shot for the first time and none had any reaction. I think several years ago when this shot was first introduced it was hard on the dog.

My 16 month old GWP had shot 1 of 2 yesterday and no probs whatsoever. After talk pretty extensively with my vet I'm very comfortable with the shot. I think like anything, a few isolated stories emerge (sick dog, anaphalaxis, seizure) and immediatley people assume its the vaccination. This is safe shot to give for your dog.

Must remember only about ten percent of dogs can actually get the Lyme disease.

I was curious to where you found this probability. We have had 3 dogs test positive for lymes after they were vaccinated using the fort dodge vaccine. Two others had lymes symptoms but did not test positive, these were also vaccinated.

I am on the fence as to continue with the lyme vaccine given our experience. I feel it may be money better spent to concentrate more on tick prevention than vaccination. I believe the fort dodge vaccine % was supposed to be upwards of 90%, but we have not seen those type of results.

Leptospirosis should be given to dogs at 15 weeks of age, again a few weeks later and then annually. The cost is minor when included with the normal 7 or 8 way.