• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

used boat shopping question?

fishingguy

Shopping around for a used late model boat. In some cases the ads and pics are not real clear. Wondering if anyone know of a web site that have pics, spec or layouts of non current boats?

pre 2006? Been searching on the web for some time and have had no luck finding anything.

I guess what I meant was, once I spot a boat on the net, classified, ect.. is they're a site I can go to and look up the specs and lay out of it. Max HP, Storage compartments, length, width, ect..... Sorry, after I re-read my post, I was not real clear on what info I was looking for.

Probably not to the extent that you are thinking. To be honest, that kind of information will only get you so far. The best thing to do is to go see them. Schedule a few appointments with sellers and see what you like. You'll quickly learn the layouts of each kind of boat. In fact, many of the larger boat dealers will have a used boat inventory. Go check a few of those out just to knock a bunch of boats off of your list. Take a camera with you so that you can remember.

In the end, every boat will be slightly different because of different options and of course how we all modify our boats upon ownership. The best solution is to get your boots on the ground. You'll learn a lot from talking to the sellers too. I'd rather have seen 30 boats in person prior to a purchase than looking at 100 online and buying the second or third that I saw with my own eyes. For the money you are paying, it's worth the time investment. No boat specs or manufacturer's schematic will tell you even half of the story.

You can always call the manufacturer and ask for information on the make and model. Some manufacturers might have brochures from that year. You can always post on here what you are looking at and maybe someone on the forum can help you out.

You can always call the manufacturer and ask for information on the make and model. Some manufacturers might have brochures from that year. You can always post on here what you are looking at and maybe someone on the forum can help you out.

Good point Larson15. Probably the best info comes from the guys here. THX!!

Probably not to the extent that you are thinking. To be honest, that kind of information will only get you so far. The best thing to do is to go see them. Schedule a few appointments with sellers and see what you like. You'll quickly learn the layouts of each kind of boat. In fact, many of the larger boat dealers will have a used boat inventory. Go check a few of those out just to knock a bunch of boats off of your list. Take a camera with you so that you can remember.

In the end, every boat will be slightly different because of different options and of course how we all modify our boats upon ownership. The best solution is to get your boots on the ground. You'll learn a lot from talking to the sellers too. I'd rather have seen 30 boats in person prior to a purchase than looking at 100 online and buying the second or third that I saw with my own eyes. For the money you are paying, it's worth the time investment. No boat specs or manufacturer's schematic will tell you even half of the story.

Everything you said is obvious, but you didn't answer the guys question. Of course it's best to see the boat in person. Not easy to do when a lot of them you see online are good drives in all different directions.

This is only a "suggestion", but with todays' technology. If you find a boat that you are very interested in( and it is a long ways away), i would think the dealer/owner would be willing to do some measuring, and take some extra photos of the rig and send them in an e-mail. Maybe that would help you out. I agree that it still wouldn't be first hand knowledge, but? Then post a question here to see if anyone has experience with that model.

i know you said you are looking for used or non current

the nw sportshow is next week head to that alot of the boats will be there its easy to compare when you can see them together

you can go back and forth a couple times with out to much effort

plus they might have some used boats they are lookin to move or non current that you could get a real good deal not sure they will go back to 06..but its a good starting spot to kinda narrow done your likes and dislikes....only believe half of what the sales men tell you..lol

lots to think about buying a boat

uses

storage

tin or fiberglass

motor..

which if your buying used you might not be albe to be as pickie

think bout the water you fish the most how big of boat you want or feel safe in

tiller vs. wheel boat ??

i think the most important part is be as close to 100% when you are ready..that you will be happy

dont spend 10k or more and then 2nd guess your self

dont know your finacial situation but if you like something and its an extra grand go for it..usally will cost twice as much if you think you can up grade or whtever later...i think its kinda fun and exciting doing the shopping..i like the haggeling its fun dont be afraid to offer some ridculously low price...its better than saying something then they say ok...then you are thinking darn i coulda went cheaper maybe..kinda the good thing bout the show to you can play them against each other to

just dont settle..get what YOU WANT

to me boats are a good investment

lots of long time enjoyment

i had my last boat close to 20yrs and it didnt owe me a dime when i traded it... had give it away it woulda been ok...lol

Everything you said is obvious, but you didn't answer the guys question. Of course it's best to see the boat in person. Not easy to do when a lot of them you see online are good drives in all different directions.

This stuff doesn't exist in one cohesive site/database as the OP is looking for. So what's you're suggestion for the guy's original question "Jig Master"?

I remember when I was shopping around a few years ago there was a site partnered with KBB that gave estimates of boat values. I have no clue if it's still there, but I remember it was really hard to get to. Kind of like when your on KBB trying to value your own vehicle and all it wants to do is search the classifieds for that vehicle. I know I really liked that site for checking values on boats I was looking at. The site was also hard because you needed to know just about everything about the boat to get an accurate value. So many boats have MANY different accessories, which makes it difficult to get an accurate dollar value. I'll do some looking for you though.

lol, after re-reading your initial question I realized that you weren't looking for a value, it does have some general specs though once you get through the check-list. Maybe my posts will help someone that's shopping to know there is a place to check values though wink