• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Terrova install question

buddha

Upgraded to the 80lb,(24v) with Ipilot. I have a current 65lb 24v Minn Kota in place. Is the swap out on this hard or tricky at all? I have not looked at the old motor and the new motor together yet. Boat is at the cabin and new motor is at home. Any advice is helpful. Maybe it's easier then I think it will be. Thanks for any help.

If you run at all in weeds or current on rivers, you might consider putting in a 60amp breaker. I'm in the process of doing that right now. Just waiting for it to arrive. BUT, make sure you've got 6 gauge wire before installing the 60 amp.

Most of the time you'll be fine with a 50 amp breaker if you've got 8 gauge wire, but I've popped my 50amp breaker a few times when running on 10 for extended time (45secs to a minute). It kicks back in after a few seconds, but it's kinda annoying, and potentially disasterous if you're in current or blowing up on rocks and need it to stay going full force.

Check the size of your wire. If 8ga, and you don't run it hard alot, 50amp should be fine. If it's 6ga, I'd put in a 60amp and forget it. I've done alot of looking around on other sites and this is pretty much the consensus. Lotta guys with the same issue I've had. I hope to have proof soon. Pool 4 should provide some good testing grounds.

The Terrova 80 draws 56 amps at max power, so you need a 60 amp breaker for it. None of the PowerDrive motors drew over 50 amps so you could get by with a 50 amp fuse for them.

Lots of guys have had unpleasant surprises with their fuses/breakers when they upgraded to an 80 lb Terrova ..... and I mean LOTS of guys. And the first couple of years the Terrova 80 was out there were lots of boat dealers sending out boats rigged with 80 lb Terrovas and 50 amp fuses ..... and I mean LOTS of dealers.

If you never run your Terrova at the highest speed settings you'll be fine with 50 amps --- but as soon as you go over 50 amps --- POP!

To answer buddha's other question, the mounting holes on the Terrova should line up exactly with the mounting holes on the PowerDrive.

budda, i put a terrova on last spring,replaced an older model power drive

12 volt and believe it or not the hole pattern lined up perfectly, no extra holes needed, i did run some 6gage wire back to the batteries and put in a 60amp breaker, per instruction,but other than that the install went smooth.i also put in a 2 bank charger to make charging a snap!

good luck with the ipilot, you"ll love it!

mike.

Yeah I noticed I put the message in the wrong requst box. I never thought about the 60 amp breaker, I will get as my older motor did have a few issues when I ran it at high speeds for exteded periods. Thanks for the info/advice.