• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

got it fired up

Gordie

I put a older evinrude 50 hp on my boat got it fired up and it was like it wouldnt idle down and then it ramped up in speed and wouldnt come down shut off motor with key and it still ran wouldnt stop but it only did this once.

once it was warmed up it seemed to run ok but still didnt want to idle down put it in gear and itr ran WOT great

as it is in idle witch I think is high I noticed that the upper carb doesnt seem to be getting gas well thats what it looks like the line has air in it. the bottom carb has a full fuel line constantly as the upper doesnt.

Any thoughts?

Ignition problem could be a couple of things.

Bad key switch

broken wire in the harness

Corrosion causing a bad connection at the terminal block

bad switch box (CDI)

Carb problem. Do you have clear lines? If so I'm not sure they are marine grade. (just speculating as to how you knew there is air in there)

Regardless of how you found out, you may have a stuck needle and its not letting gas into the bowl. Its down stream of the fuel pump so if you have a leak, gas would be leaking (its under pressure) rather than air leaking in.

Bruce the lines are see thru green I belive they are marine grade but not certainI will take the carb apart and clean it and check the needle and it is down stream of the feul pump

This motor has been sitting for a couple of years so I'm sure that the carbs

should be gone thru the guy told it was fogged when he put it away.

thanks for your help.

High idle is a sign of lean.....so don't run it much until you look at possible causes.

Before tearing into the carbs, pull the fuel lines off the carbs with the motor running one at a time and visually confirm fuel flow. Could be a weak fuel pump.....make sure flow at each looks the same.

Also check for air leaks at the crank seals and check vacuum lines for proper attachment....

Drain each carb with the bowl drain screw.....Then blow into the fuel line going into each carb. If the bowls are drained, you should be able to blow air into the fuel line. If you can't then it's for sure a stuck needle valve. ....tap on each carb bowl lightly with a rubber hammer. sometimes this single tap will free a stuck main needle valve (remember the carbs are made from aluminum!!!!!)

If those quick easy checks haven't fixed it, then take the carbs off and clean/clear the idle jets and main jets. Check the main float needle valve for proper operation....when reassembling, visually verify the carbs are synched and open and close together.

Any issues, feel free to bring it over buddy. Happy to help.

took apart the carbs and they are a bit different than merc carbs and just wondering if the needle is gravity or is there supose to be a spring on these I looked up the carb diagrams and see no spring it was stuck however freed it up but just wondering how it works the proper way. The diagram show a hairpin style clip and mine doesnt have this is this OK?

Not sure.

What year is it??

All the carbs I have ever seen have the needle clipped to the float hinge. Without the clip, you don't get enough weight to pull the needle down as the bowl drains. Can you send a couple pics of what you have??

Post here or send to wastewaterguru at hotmail

thats what I was thinking I will try and take a couple pics of it today and the motor is a 82 50 evinrude E50belcnr this what i looked up to find the carb diagram for it and it shows a spring clip and that is missing in mine. I ordered two needle and seat [PoorWordUsage]. for it so I will replace it all with new stuff this week

number 29 is what mine is missing

full-15313-7161-141.png

Gordy, what did the rest of the stuff in there look like? Just wondering why you didnt get the whole kit. Beleive me, I've reused gaskets and the packing in behind the idle passage plug plenty of times but if I have the opporunity to re-do the whole thing I do. Really not much more $.

Bruce I think that the carbs were recently rebilt they look clean as a whistle. I think the guy how rebulut them missed that part and I'm not one to skimp but these dont even look as if they were run at all except the time that I ran it last weekend

I hope they forgot to put it in as it would cause some damage if it got sucked ito the cylinder. my thinking is they put them on but not the correct way and it fell off when they were reattaching it to the bowl. Just a thought. I did do a compression check on it and both cyl are at 125 so I should be good there

got the carbs rebuilt and it fires up nice and runs great but when I throttle up it runs out exellent but it will not throttle back down to idle it just stays ramped up'

any thoughts bruce

Couple things.

Make sure the freeplay is out of the throttle cable and Make sure that the throttle stop screw is going all the way back. Lengthen by turning the trunion. This will put more tension to seat the idle screw. make sure the carb linkage is synch'ed and neither throttle plate is opening.

finally got my boat back found out it was the carbs that were on ther e were non-adjustable low idle jets so I got a set that are adjustable and also a part of the idle lever on the control box was another part of the problem.

this motor runs like a champ now

So all i need now is the weather to cooperate