• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any quality in 'Mike Lardy' training books or dvd's?

Cobber

Good evening HSO'ers.

Looking to get the Mike Lardy training book as well as the "Total Retriever Training" dvd series..

Anybody heard much about these or used them yourself? How were they?

Thanks!

I haven't seen Lardy's newest series but I did borrow the earlier edition from a friend when I got my first dog a couple of years ago. Being a newbie, I thought it was very difficult to follow or understand. Now with some training under the belt it does make more sense. I have the Evan Graham Smartwork DVD series and found that much easier to understand and follow along with.

As far as a book goes, I would highly recommend Julie Knutson's "Training the Pointing Labrador". It's a good read for any new pup owner, not just the pointing lab. Preferrably the puppy section should be read prior to getting the pup. It will likely make a huge difference in the start of a well trained dog. Understanding "the walk" will be huge for your pup.

Good evening HSO'ers.

Looking to get the Mike Lardy training book as well as the "Total Retriever Training" dvd series..

Anybody heard much about these or used them yourself? How were they?

Thanks!

If you are doing a lot of training by yourself or alone I would look to Dennis Voigt. You can find him on his publication "Online Retrievers" or his DVD's of training retrievers.

Lardy is one of thee best trainers in the field trial game if not thee best. You might go to his HSOforum first. Do a google search or handjem retrievers.

Goo Luck

I am not familiar with the LArdy series, but I am a believer that you can get something you can take from every book/video you get. My training is different than every other person as I pick bits and pieces of things I find and think will work for me and my dog. I would get it, read it, and try to take bits of knowledge from it.

Mike Lardy's stuff is excellent. He's got one of the best complete retriever training programs available on the market.

The Voigt DVD is great to get ideas about training alone but it isn't a full training program at all like Lardy's program is.

It's a terrible idea to jump around to different resources when training a fully finished retriever. Keep with one program as they build upon the previous concepts and processes with anticipation of the next step (ex. hold/walking hold/force fetch/walking fetch/etc).

She didn't take, with Buster

I haven't spoke with Brad in quite a while. He's been kind of MIA all winter it seems. That's the first I've heard of it, I thought they were going to breed her to Razor again as the first litter had some really nice talent in it from the sounds of it. I got a bit panic'd there thinking something went really bad.

We have our annual meeting/banquet next week so I'll get some more info on judges for you.