• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat remodeling

drippinwet

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the bolts off the plastic housing that surround the drive shaft and you'll be into the water pump.

The dirty passage way is the thru hub exhaust...the grease liquid you refer to is likely unburnt fuel or fogging fluid or both.. especially if the motor was running flooded.

As far as the spring in the fuel line, I'm not sure.. I can't say that I've seen that before, but I'm no expert.

Replace the fuel lines with marine grade fuel hose.

marine_man

Take the bolts off the plastic housing that surround the drive shaft and you'll be into the water pump.

The dirty passage way is the thru hub exhaust...the grease liquid you refer to is likely unburnt fuel or fogging fluid or both.. especially if the motor was running flooded.

As far as the spring in the fuel line, I'm not sure.. I can't say that I've seen that before, but I'm no expert.

Replace the fuel lines with marine grade fuel hose.

marine_man

Once I take apart the water pump is it easy to replace?

Also, do I need to clean the exhaust passage and if so with what? The entire lower unit is dirty I want to clean it, but do not know what is a good cleaner.

Once I take apart the water pump is it easy to replace?

Also, do I need to clean the exhaust passage and if so with what? The entire lower unit is dirty I want to clean it, but do not know what is a good cleaner.

Yes it is very easy to replace, get a "kit" which includes impeller, gaskets, end housing. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL not to drop the woodruff key inside the lower unit. It is stuck between the impeller and the driveshaft, you'll see it when you take housing out. Might be best to put rags to close any hole beneath them as soon as you lift 1/4" of the pump.

You can scrape the deposits as you wish. The outside will clean up good if you use The Works, toilet and bowl cleaner (don't laugh) but do it outside and when motor is all together, beware it's acid

Well I took the water housing off and the impeller looks ok. My housing is a metal one with a black plastic tube that sticks up t pump the water....I had 0 gaskets between the plate and the housing. Everything seems to be ok to me. Nothing really damaged. So why would water not pump through? I am now second guessing whether I allowed the motor to run long enough in the cold rainy weather that day to get the thermostat hot enough to open. Or the thermostat is bad and I have no idea where that is or how to replace it...thoughts?

Also, underneath the housing and impeller was a cylinder like thing with 4 bolts on that. I took the bolts out and it looked like a bearing inside, I could not slip it off over the long rod, what is this thing and could this be my problem?

Well I did some investigating and decided to check my thermostat. I had to call a Marina to locate the darn thing, but I got it lol. The marina guy told me he was having issues with 1976 Evinrudes, the thermostats worked, but for some reason would get clogged or would just decide not to work. He said he was taking telling customers to remove the thermostat completely and not put one back on, but said I could run it for a month or so and then put one on if I choose. Well, why would Evinrude put a thermostat on the motor if it did not need one? I think I will run it a bit without the thermostat and then I will install a new one or the old one, I checked the old one in hot water and it worked fine.

Now I reassembled the whole motor. I fired it up and let it run for a while and noticed a pee stream coming from the interior side of the motor...it shot water TOWARDS MY BOAT.....is this typical? I thought it shot AWAY or behind the boat....I have 2 holes (exhaust holes possibly) that come out the back and sputters water, but no stream. I assumed this is where my stream would come. I thought last year it came through those, but I could have a bad memory. I loaded 3 pics, can anyone tell me which holes are suppose to be the stream holes?

Also, not I have no thermostat in right now, if it makes a difference.

You can see the stream to the right shotting AT the boat. This was a solid, consistent stream.

full-37815-7071-imag0090.jpg

These are the holes that I thought was the stream holes. Water sputter out of these holes, but no consistent stream.

full-37815-7072-imag0091.jpg

Another view of BOTH holes again one spitting consistently and one not doing much.

full-37815-7073-imag0092.jpg

The picture below shows the main water exhaust, you should see a heavy water sputter from it.

full-70-7090-exshaust1.jpg

This is where the "tell tale" stream should be on newer motors. Obviously yours doesn't have it, so the main visible outlet are the 2 holes in picture above.

full-70-7091-exshaust2.jpg

The stream you see has not much influence since it's underwater.

You can start motor and feel the head sides if the become hot, that's a good sign the impeller is bad. Also did you look to see it he key is installed between impeller and shaft ?

I just took the water pump apart and it was still good, even took it to a marina and the guy said it was fine. I took the thermostat out yesterday and ran it so wouldn't I see a stream regardless of how hot the motor is?

From the 2 big holes above you will see an abundant sputter, not a stream. Check inside motor area where I put the arrow, there should be a rubber hose coming from under the block. It might be too old motor to have it, I believe they added the tell tale in the late '70s early '80s.

From the 2 big holes above you will see an abundant sputter, not a stream. Check inside motor area where I put the arrow, there should be a rubber hose coming from under the block. It might be too old motor to have it, I believe they added the tell tale in the late '70s early '80s.

You are correct, the tele tale came in 1977 and I have a 76, so I technically do not have one. But the water has to come out somehow, how does this work exactly?

Can you mount a transducer on the bow somewhere? I have a TM, but would rather not mount it to that and I already have one in back on the transom. I want to put another one up front looking ahead of the boat where I fish laugh.....but where is a good spot for it?

full-37815-7100-115marinerboat.jpg

Water will come out of the tell-tale even when the thermostat is closed(assuming u had a tell tale)

If im not mistaken the water flows thru the motor and out thru the exhaust. it can be hard to tell sometimes without a tell tale and especially with just the garden hose flusher supplying the water. should be easier to tell at the lake or in a tank.

I would not reccomend running the motor without a stat, it needs to get up to a certain temp to run properly and without a stat it will be running cool most of the time.

That line you cut looks to me like the vacuum line from the crankcase to the fuel pump. parts guy at the repair shop will be able to get you the right stuff.

I would highly reccomend getting a repair manual for your motor. it is well worth the 20 bucks or whatever they cost these days. it will tell you the proper procedures for all the stuff you are doing

Can you mount a transducer on the bow somewhere? I have a TM, but would rather not mount it to that and I already have one in back on the transom. I want to put another one up front looking ahead of the boat where I fish laugh.....but where is a good spot for it?

Gonna be tough. Could have a pole that goes over the edge from the deck.

full-37815-7265-206307_10150201695610530

Finally got her out. She starts great and sounds great, but 2 things wrong.

1st, the gearing is out of whack. When I first fired it up, the throttle was in neutral but it was running in reverse, I had to play with the throttle to get it in neutral. Then we left the dock and had another problem, but that will be the next paragraph. We bummed around and fished for a bit with the motor off and anchored. We decided to move and fired up the boat, but when I put it in forward it was grinding and did not shift into gear. We had to troll around fished a bit more. Then when we went to leave I jammed it forward and it grinded again, but it slammed into gear. What could this be? Did I mess something up when i resintalled my lower unit last week?

Problem number 2 is a big concern for me. Even when I bought the last boat (which was smaller) this motor has an issue planeing out. I read that if you keep the motor about an inch high it would plane quicker and now lift the front end as much. So we left it about an inch high. The motor runs fine and revs great, but it just will not plane me out. Last year with the smaller boat it did the same thing, but if we added weight up front it would plane out and would go 30 MPH. Today I had a 240 pound guy up front, but it would not plane out. I know I have a lot of weight in back with my new deck, but there has to be a way to fix this problem. Do I need to lower the motor more or change my prop? My buddy has a 70 HP evinrude about 10 years new and his prop is much bigger than mine.

Thoughts?

Glad to hear you got it out on the water.

I'd start with disconnecting your throttle and shift cables under the motor hood... make sure the shift linkage is in neutral (center of the travel basically) and manually slide the linkage / control forward and see if your motor goes into gear.

It's possible when you re-installed the lower unit that the shift rod got out of alignment and needs to be adjusted as well.

Is there a tachometer in this boat? Any idea what pitch prop is on it now?

marine_man

The majority of water will come out through the prop. You will see more come out of the exhaust releif ports that Valv pointed to whil it is in the water due to back pressure. On the hose, you may not see as much.

As long as you didnt unscrew the shift rod, you adjustment should not have changed much. Do as MM said and remove the shift cable at the motor and check for shift funtion there. Find your nominal nuetral and see if the the cable lines up while the control box is in nuetral.

Also as MM was eluding to, we need to know what prop and RPM its running at WOT to determin ifthe right pitch prop is on there. There are so many variables when it come to performance.

Well, stupid me, unscrewed the shift linkage, not knowing what I was doing. So how do I figure out how far it needs to be screwed in?

I have no idea what the pitch is now, how do I find out? Also, I do not have a tach, but from what I read online, the optimal RPMs is 5800.

The pitch on your prop should be stamped on the outside between the blades, or on the hub underneath the nut (or on opposite side). If you cannot understand the numbers, post them here, MM and BF will crossreference it.... grin