• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arrows and broadheads

Abndoc

alright guys...I'm looking for new arrows. Last fall i was using carbon express pile drivers. They flew really good for me, but I had a problem with the nocks flying out. Yesterday shooting at my target 2 out of 6 arrows...nocks were laying about 10 yards behind my target. not sure why? quality of the arrows? any ideas. what do you guys like?

Also I know Don is going to laugh, this is my first year turkey hunting, have been hitting him up for pointers. He asked me if I was crazy enough to take the bow out for first year turkey hunting...yep thats what I'm thinking. lol anyways broadheads...Will my g5 montecs get the job done or should I be looking at the "turkey broadheads". I'm sure I'm not the only one with these questions? C'mon you pros..teach us rookies how to do it. grin

I have shot gold tip vanetec arrows for awhile now and they seem to be perfect in everytihng. Havent lost a deer yet but that isnt necessarily the arrow, but havent had any issues with them while deer hunting.

I'm thinking your knock issues is just that, knock issues. Try some different ones before spending the cash on new arrows.

For broadheads, I'd suggest any large diameter mechanical.

It can be done, good luck!

I think your arrows are fine. Once in awhile you'll get a bad batch of nocks. I'd just buy another dozen, they're pretty cheap. Or take some glue or epoxy and put a drop on each side of the nock. Let it dry and then press it in. See if that snugs them up.

Bowhunting turkeys is a lot of fun. I applaud you for giving it a try. The vitals are small and the birds rarely stand motionless for long. Like Don, I recommend large diamter expandables. Lots of good 2" heads out there. I've had great success with Rocket Hammerheads over the years.

I shoot Easton Axis ST 400 grain arrows, I know its a bit heavy by some peoples standards but my arrows are only 24 inches long so I want some weight there. I like them and haven't had any problems.

I agree with the previously stated comments about knocks being bad. Spend the 5 or 10 dollars and get some new ones see if they make a difference before spending 100-140 dollars a dozen on arrows.

I used my bow last year for my first turkey hunt. I drew a Shotgun license but since I hadn't shot my shotgun in 3 years and I didn't know what I was doing and didn't have time I broke out my bow. I did a LOT of research before going out and there are some nice sites out there on where to aim with the arrow. I heard it's good to use mechanical broadheads with them and to slow your bow down! They said you actually want to try and keep the arrow in the bird since it wont fly away as easy. I kept my bow around that 58lb mark and used a Rage 3 Blade that I had laying around from Deer Hunting. My bird was at 4-5 yards from the ground blind and I broke the wing and I don't know where my arrow went because we searched for 2 hours and never found it but I had a clean pass through. I made the mistake because I was soo excited to get out to the bird and he got up and ran down the woods. I would suggest waiting unlike what I did! Call it nerves! I used a cheap decoy and I put my ground blind out WAY early and they got used to it. Remember turkeys cannot smell but have AMAZING vision so drawing your bow can be very difficult. I used trail cameras to scout the land I was going to hunt and in the spring I got the turkeys to pattern like crazy! I had turkeys every single day coming through within 10 minutes of each day. I was out about an hour before the first bird usually came through the area and I was back to the truck just over an hour from leaving the truck.

I did call him in and I just used one of those dummy calls where you spin the center to do the call and it worked great. Practice your calling and my buddy told me don't over call when he gets in close because you can scare him but I had him at 60 yards in the woods and I called like crazy and I actually got the two hens to come towards me and after they came running he was right on their heals!

Good luck and hopefully you'll get results come spring!

If your nocks are too loose grab a plastic Walmart bag and put over the end of your arrow and shove your nock in. It really helps tighten them up. Try that even before you buy new nocks. Also sometimes it could be that your serving on your string is too large and they are too tight on your nocks.

IF you really have to snap them into the string, your serving maybe to thick. There are different thicknesses of serving that can be put on the string.

I shoot maxima 350 hunters as does my father in-law. We have never had an issue with nocks falling out. just breaking them when your groups are tight.

Use larger mech.'s or yoy may be ok using your G5's but make sure they aren't sharp-yes "aren't" you want the arrow to stay in the bird if at all possible. It's not worth the money for the expensive turkey heads like the gobbler guillotine(unless you have money to blow) lol then you might as well go for em'