• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anybody paddled the Root?

Yes. I grew up on the Root and it is a great river to fish. If you are looking for trout I suggest staying as far upstream as possible (knowing you might need to get out in some of the rapids).

Once bass season opens up we fish the downstream portions a lot more.

Where are you thinking about putting in at, and how far are you going?

I like to get out and stop a lot, and the current is just a bit too fast to do much else but throw rapalas and spinners.

But the fishing and scenery are always good.

Thanks for the reply Chode, I've waded downstream of Lanesboro on a few trout openers, it's just one of those things a guy like me thinks about when standing on the bank. "If only I had brought my canoe."

I think it would be easier to get to some less pressured pools and such by paddling. I doubt I'd do much fishing while paddling the heavier current, and then I'd probably do what you said by pulling up on shore and working certain areas before moving on.

I have no idea where I'd put in or take out, but I'm all ears. wink

I paddled the Root River with a group of friends about 4 years ago, right after the flooding caused a lot of damage to the fields. We caught the tail end of it all so that the river wasn't dangerous but it was still fun. I didn't expect to find much for fish because of the flooding and my companions weren't fishermen, so we didn't make any attempt to fish.

Overall it was a great experience and I'll definitely try it again. All those areas such as Lanesboro are great for before and after your excursion as well.

I love the trip from Chatfield (co rd. 2) down to the Parsley's bridge launch off of HW 52. It is a pretty long trip, but you will get a chance to fish a lot of water that doesnt get a lot of pressure.

I also like putting in at Cummingsville (HWY 30) and coming down to Chatfield.

Those are the best trout stretches I am familiar with. I have always wanted to, but never have, canoed the 'other' branches most notably from Spring Valley to Fillmore. Between Preston and Forestville would be another (even smaller water there). I have always done well fishing those stretches on foot.

For all of these stretches I would recommend packing really light as you will need to take the canoe out due to shallow rapids, or fallen trees.

Again, these are not trips for the timid or ill prepared. But they give you a chance to fish a lot of really good water, and to take in some scenery.

Once the weeds get growing later in the year, the only trout fishing I do is via canoe as so many of the smaller streams get to be so much harder to fish.

For smallmouth I tend to do better downstream where the river functions and behaves more like a river than a 'big' trout stream. Rushford to Houston is another one I really like.

I love the trip from Chatfield (co rd. 2) down to the Parsley's bridge launch off of HW 52. It is a pretty long trip, but you will get a chance to fish a lot of water that doesnt get a lot of pressure.

I also like putting in at Cummingsville (HWY 30) and coming down to Chatfield.

Those are the best trout stretches I am familiar with. I have always wanted to, but never have, canoed the 'other' branches most notably from Spring Valley to Fillmore. Between Preston and Forestville would be another (even smaller water there). I have always done well fishing those stretches on foot.

For all of these stretches I would recommend packing really light as you will need to take the canoe out due to shallow rapids, or fallen trees.

Again, these are not trips for the timid or ill prepared. But they give you a chance to fish a lot of really good water, and to take in some scenery.

Once the weeds get growing later in the year, the only trout fishing I do is via canoe as so many of the smaller streams get to be so much harder to fish.

For smallmouth I tend to do better downstream where the river functions and behaves more like a river than a 'big' trout stream. Rushford to Houston is another one I really like.

You have canoed the south as well?

We usually only do the north branch ... start in Chatfield on the hwy 2 access then 13 miles to the Pilot Mound camps on day 1 ... day 2 is another 13 mils to the Whispering pines campsites. Then 8 miles to the out on Day 3 at the hwy 16 access NE of Lanesboro. Great Trip lots of smallies in the river, plenty of time to fish when your only doing 13 water miles in a day. We usually venture up the cold water trout streams as well. Lynch, Trout Creek, Money Rice, Tortelson. Lots of trout to eat and smallies to catch!

You have canoed the south as well?

We usually only do the north branch ... start in Chatfield on the hwy 2 access then 13 miles to the Pilot Mound camps on day 1 ... day 2 is another 13 mils to the Whispering pines campsites. Then 8 miles to the out on Day 3 at the hwy 16 access NE of Lanesboro. Great Trip lots of smallies in the river, plenty of time to fish when your only doing 13 water miles in a day. We usually venture up the cold water trout streams as well. Lynch, Trout Creek, Money Rice, Tortelson. Lots of trout to eat and smallies to catch!

Yes, that is my favorite stretch of river. Now that is the trip to take. I usually can only do bits and pieces of it, but you do it right.

I have only done the South from halfway between Fillmore down to the confluence with the North. I have shore fished a lot of it through there, but not for a few years.

I really like the stretch of river west of Fillmore.