• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Missouri River walleyes in April???

A friend and I are thinking about taking a trip to the lower Missouri River system from the ND/SD border north. I'm looking for information from those who have fished this after ice out. How have the river levels been in this area the last few years? This trip would be completely based on when the ice leaves so nothing is set in stone but would hopefully be the 3rd weekend of April. Thanks!

Have been there a few times in past but not since water levels have changed. Pierre below the dam in spillway is good in April. Good food can be found at a little cafe off main drag, cheap prices and good food, I'll try to find the name. And you can get tackle and info at the sporting goods store in town. Akaska is also good but not sure on the boat landings. We camped at the access area. Make some calls to find out about the boat accesses and water levels.

I believe the Big Muddy walleye tourney is April 24th, so it might be a bit busy on the river in the Bismarck/Mandan area around that time. Generally this will be the area to fish right after ice out with the fish later migrating further south towards the SD state line as the spring wears on into summer. This can be excellent fishing as well but I'm not sure what it's like down there right after ice out. Most tend to fish around the Bismarck area right away and then move further south as the fish do.

It's anyone's guess what the river level will be at that time. It can vary quite a bit even day to day with the spring thaw along with the Corps of Engineers regulating flow out of Garrison Dam.

Yep, it is. The site I typically use for tourney dates apparently hasn't updated their listing yet and that was last year's date. I wonder if they were getting nervous being so close to ice-out and moved it back a couple of weeks. That should result in a big basket this year.

im sure the current will be roarin. if you can get behind a few sandbars and jig you should do good. caught a few through the ice this winter and they were PIGS!

but yea i would plan on fishing closer to bismarck.

The river has been high and fast since September as lots of water is being let out of lake sakakawea to draw it down for the spring melt. Hopefully the releases will decrease soon. There should be lots of run-off this year and March is looking cold so later April might be a good bet. Tough to say.