• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for lab pup

Corey Bohn

Would appreciate some input regarding a Labrador breeder who has quality pups from proven hunting dogs. Would like a 7 week old registered purebred male lab either yellow or black, that could be available sometime in March or early April. Prefer bigger males with the square / blocky type head. Strong emphasis on waterfowl hunting. I live in west-central Minnesota. Any references would be greatly appreciated.

[Note from admin: Please don't use this forum to conduct business. Go to HSOList.com for puppy wanted to conduct business. It's FREE. References and discussion is fine here.]

John Pesek and Royalty British Kennels. picked up my new pup just before xmas could not be happier. I assume he will get mixed reviews on this site. He is extremly arrogant about the quality of his dogs and he can rub some people the wrong way. But I was very impressed by his facilty and his customer service has been outstanding. If you talk with other breeders he wont get good reviews either but i have never talked to anybody who has actually bought a dog from him who is either unhappy or displeased with what they got. In my opinion customers opinions are the most important not industry opinions. One thing nobody will argue is the quality of his pedigrees. They are british Labs so they will be smaller than american labs. Bottom line with the british line because it is not as wide spread as the american line is any good breeder will have almost the same lines if you go back a couple of generations.

Call Mary Howley at Candlewoods Kennels. My last lab came from there, and so will the next one. She is easy to work with. Great family dogs. 5X National Champ. Hardwired from the factory for waterfowl hunters. She is in Portage, WI. It is a bit of a hike, but it is worth it.

dukhntr

The British VS American lab can be debated all day long, for me bottom line it is yet to be proven that they can compete head to head at out games.

Some of the best breedings come from FT and HT people, litters from proven animals with health clearences. No matter what you do make sure both parents have all there health clearences, eyes, hips, elbows, CNM,and have been EIC tested. I would avoid newspaper litters if the litter has to be advertised in the paper theres a reason.

Todd do you have any personal recommendations. I would prefer an American line from the standpoint they tend to be bigger dogs. Would like a male in the 80-85 lb. range at maturity. Will check out the other recommendations and please keep them coming. Would particularly like to hear from dog owners who are pleased with their dogs from puppy stage which are now 2-3 years old.

Check out Torg's Labs out of Bemidji. They have multiple breedings a year. My 2 year old 75 lbs. female has a good temperment, extremely easy to train, and a lot of drive in the field. I found the kennel owners helpful and easy to work with. The kennel primarily has yellows and is specializing in the "fox red" yellows for a premium. Many of their breedings come from good hunting lines.

Todd do you have any personal recommendations. I would prefer an American line from the standpoint they tend to be bigger dogs. Would like a male in the 80-85 lb. range at maturity. Will check out the other recommendations and please keep them coming. Would particularly like to hear from dog owners who are pleased with their dogs from puppy stage which are now 2-3 years old.

Like I said some of the best breedings come from HT and FT people that have a litter every couple of years, to bad you didn't post this sooner, just had a litter ( not my litter, but a litter my male sired) QAA male X MH female from very proven lines that sold out last week, but thats what I'm talking about puppys from proven parents with all there health clearences that should excell at any venue. I'll keep an eye out for you I look almost every day for puppy adds.

Reba a Female I took for the stud fee

1185461828_yAYvz-M.jpg

Guys, don't take it personally, but I want recommendations from people with good personal experiences regardless which line of labrador. I may get an American line, I may get a British line. Just want a quality pup, proven hunting background. Lets let people give their opinions on both lines.

I just had to put my yellow lab down on Monday because he was starting to suffer from laryngeal paralysis resulting in breathing problems which put him into respiratory arrest. Got him at 7 weeks from a breeder by Mahnomen, MN, who no longer breeds dogs. Astro would have been 12 yrs. old on March 3 and duck hunted strong through 10 1/2 years. He was an awesome dog and cannot be replaced.

Since it appears I cannot continue with any of his lineage, I have to begin looking elsewhere. Just hoping that in maybe 6 weeks or so I'll be ready to begin the cycle of life with a new puppy, that would be old enough to get his feet wet by next fall.

Would like the experience of an online discussion to be a nice start towards finding a new pup and not an American vs. British line debate. At the end of the day, much of what the dog turns out to be will depend on me.

12 years ago I bought a pup from a private party and he turned out to be that 1 in a million dog. Downside is that since they are no longer breeding and didn't keep up on their records from a contact standpoint, there's an apparent dead end unless the info below can be traced on the sire side. Astro's hips were still really good at his old age as were his eyes.

Astro's parents were: Sire --Rainwater's Cisco Kid (believed to be from Wisconsin); Dam--Clark's Slew Slammin' Britches (Mahnomen, MN).

Todd, I can see why you accepted "Reba" in exchange for the stud fee. She's a really nice looking pup. My preference would be that the pups parents both have big square / blocky type heads. Reba is beautiful looking pup.

is somebody a little defensive about the american vs brit debate. please tell me where in my post I said anything about one being better than the other? I was just trying to help a guy find a dog. my last was a american lab. wanted a little smaller dog this time around since I have a baby and 5 year old at home which is why I went with the british line. this debate always gets rolling but simple fact both lines make great dogs. yes I am sure a american lab could run circles around my brit in american field trials likewise a brit could probably run circles around a american lab in english field trials. 2 completly different events where each looks for 2 completly different qualities. it's all the same ford vs chevy. lund vs alumacraft? ok lund is way better but that is besides the point.

I have a three year old yellow lab expecting a litter in 7 to 10 days. her mother and father and grandparents are yellows but her father has sired several blacks over the years. she is a phenomenal retriever and has had two good years of waterfowl and upland bird hunting. the sire of the litter is a chocolate lad that is owned and used by a waterfowl guide service out of lacrosse WI and has champion blood lines. he is a true block head as is my females father and grand parents. here is a picture of her and her father sharing some bones and a picture of her father on a duck hunt this late fall. i cant get a photo of her hunting to load says they are taking up too much room err something? the pups will be readying to go first couple weeks of April and will be more than ready too hit the feild this coming fall. I will be asking 300 for males and 350 for females. (they will be AKC registered, have first shots and dew claws removed) both parents have had their helth checks hips eyes so on. i have a list started for first three pics as of now so if you are interested contact soon. or if you just want any more info you can call me at 507 421 7256 or email me at [email protected]

Drew full-37681-6201-149013_1495951038758_123

full-37681-6202-img_0113.jpg

My dog is the sire of an upcoming litter hopefully, dam is going to have an ultrasound here in a week or two to see if she's carrying. This litter was decided for a couple primary reasons, not just to sell puppies. This litter was decided on purely the fact that the dogs aren't huge, both sire and dam are around the 55-65lb range and both excel in the field, duck blind and chasing roosters. They were also chosen to breed for their good blocky looks, longer dense coats and their temperment with family and children. They were also chosen to be bred because they have both been shown to be capable of obtaining high levels of abilities under very amateur trainers. These pups should have a lot of go in the field and a definite off switch indoors with family. They shouldn't be overly sensitive or soft so for a new trainer they should have some resiliency to the beginner handlers/trainers mistakes.

Shooter, the sire, is my dog. He has 3 AKC Senior hunt test passes and passed his 1st Master test last fall. He is easily my go to dog when it comes to any form of hunting. He loves training and even really enjoys in the yard drills. After 4 years in training dogs to a high competitive level, he is easily my favorite after starting 3 other dogs and selling 2 of them.

The Dam, Raven, is a very well built female with a lot of go when out in the field as well but is easily an inside dog. She's a lover in the house and really wants to work with the handler. She has her AKC Junior title and probably will have at least a couple Senior passes before the end of 2011.

If the breeding took, the pups should be born around April 9th down in Big Lake, MN. There is a chance of some yellow color in this litter from two black parents.

Hips and eyes have been tested in both my female and her father as for CNM im not sure that is something they test for in a blood work test or not? if not then no they havnt and for EIC im in close contact with 30+ dogs directly related to my female ranging from 9 YO to two YO and have had no cases and all these dogs are avid hunting dogs. her father is 12 now and is great health still to this day we get many comments on his health and stanima.