• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The cheapest part of owning a dog is the purchase price...

gspman

There have been a couple post in the last month or 2 where people have stated they cannot afford vet bills, etc for their dog. For any prospective dog/puppy owner: you need to think ahead about the costs associated with owning a dog. They do not always live in perfect health until they die of old age. There are times when they may need medical care. They need decent food, etc.

The cheapest part of owning the dog is the purchase price. After that it's a steady outflow of cash for vet, food, training, etc. Before buying a pup you need to add up these costs and determine whether or not you can afford to have and care for a dog. If you can't swing it then wait until you can. You are doing a disservice to an animal that is completely dependent on you for its well being if you do not have the means to take care of it.

If one has never owned a dog and does not know what the costs can be, talk to a local vet as they could clue one in.

Pets that are taken care of are expensive espically if they get sick.

I just got another house dog as the vet I have always used called and said they had a dog that the owner could not afford.

I told myself I was not going to get another after I had my last buddy put to sleep but I now have the pooch.

The dog is a bit over 1 year old and I made the mistakew of going to the vets office to look at the dog.

Needless to say, she came home with me and she is a very well behaved pup.

It is rough hearing those words of wisdom but it is the truth. Another thing is look into the future to see where your going to be. A move or an addition to the family IE a new born can drastically change ones priorities. I have seen it lots of times where a family moves or has a child and the first thing that goes is the dog.

After getting my dog the breeder calls me up to ask me if I was interested in another dog from the same litter I got mine,this was a year after I got mine. Apparently the family had a new born on the way and they could not afford 2 dogs so the youngest dog had to go. I thought about it and was tempted but I did not think I could give the attention to 2 hunting dogs that they needed. I told him I would take it if he could not find someone to take the dog. I had no worries for the dog as any hunter would gladly have taken a year old Large Munsterlander for free.

Its funny I grew up on the farm were we spent NOTHING on the dogs, and they all seemed to do OK.

I move to the city and get a dog and it is way more spendy. IMO spend what you can and remebere they are animals. sounds bad but Its true.

I have a brother that has three very healty labs that eat hotdogs and bacon greese and have never even had a shot. most of the vet [PoorWordUsage] it is a made up money sync.

Even if I do purchase something that may not be that essential, I will give it to my dog.

In no way do I want any issues with my dogs in any way.

Some do not give their dogs heartworm pills and they take the chance. They may well get away with it but I will see that my dogs are protected just in case.

My dogs are more to me than just an animal, they are a family member.

To each his own I guess.

acemac, I totally understand, and agree with your point of view. My grandpa had many dogs that rarely saw the inside of a vet office. But, if somethings obviously changed (panting) after an something significant (getting nose run over), and he'd take him to the vet.

Its funny I grew up on the farm were we spent NOTHING on the dogs, and they all seemed to do OK.

I move to the city and get a dog and it is way more spendy. IMO spend what you can and remebere they are animals. sounds bad but Its true.

I have a brother that has three very healty labs that eat hotdogs and bacon greese and have never even had a shot. most of the vet [PoorWordUsage] it is a made up money sync.

Parts of your comments are indeed true - in a sense. Rural dogs probably are less likely to get heartworm, distemper, or parvo if they do not come into contact with infected dogs or squitos. City dogs face more opportunities for exposre to disease. Would be concerned about rabies.

Most rural dogs seemed to be killed by trucks, antifreeze or a wondering into neighbor's gun shot.

There have been a couple post in the last month or 2 where people have stated they cannot afford vet bills, etc for their dog. For any prospective dog/puppy owner: you need to think ahead about the costs associated with owning a dog. They do not always live in perfect health until they die of old age. There are times when they may need medical care. They need decent food, etc.

The cheapest part of owning the dog is the purchase price. After that it's a steady outflow of cash for vet, food, training, etc. Before buying a pup you need to add up these costs and determine whether or not you can afford to have and care for a dog. If you can't swing it then wait until you can. You are doing a disservice to an animal that is completely dependent on you for its well being if you do not have the means to take care of it.

Agree. Same could be said about many people having children.

After getting my dog the breeder calls me up to ask me if I was interested in another dog from the same litter I got mine,this was a year after I got mine. Apparently the family had a new born on the way and they could not afford 2 dogs so the youngest dog had to go. I thought about it and was tempted but I did not think I could give the attention to 2 hunting dogs that they needed. I told him I would take it if he could not find someone to take the dog. I had no worries for the dog as any hunter would gladly have taken a year old Large Munsterlander for free.

We had a similar thing fall in our lap. Our trainer had sold a pup to someone about a year and a half ago. They lived out of state and he happened to be going through their town, so he stopped to say "hi". When he got there the dog was locked in a kennel and the owners said that's where it stayed all the time. They said it was untrainable and worthless. He gave back the money they paid him, on the spot, and took the dog. Now it has become our dog by default I guess. He'll take some time to get in shape, but he'll do good. He deserved better than they were giving him. As of a year ago, we thought the pallet loads of ProPlan getting dropped off would stop. Now we have 2 more dogs of our own and a bunch more that dip into the food stash.

sorry for the smart alec comment gspman...it wasn't nice, and was very immature.

I also agree with the rural dogs have less problems. My old buddy BJ lasted 11 years with no problems, and not ONE veterinary visit. He was hit by a car, and was in numerous fights with neighbor dogs and wild animals too. Rural dogs (to a point) do very well without shots, check-ups, and surgeries.

sorry for the smart alec comment gspman...it wasn't nice, and was very immature.

I also agree with the rural dogs have less problems. My old buddy BJ lasted 11 years with no problems, and not ONE veterinary visit. He was hit by a car, and was in numerous fights with neighbor dogs and wild animals too. Rural dogs (to a point) do very well without shots, check-ups, and surgeries.

Sorry for your loss, but exactly .... Most dogs left loose in town would be dead rather quickly, car, pound, disease.

Don't worry about it Jack. I am not trying to pick on you but I've seen this enough that I want others to "look before they leap". I planned for about 8 years before I got my first dog. I understand that most folks are probably not that anal but looking into costs going forward is important for prospective dog owners.

It is a tough situation any many times there is more to the story than meets the eye and that could certainly be the case with your pooch. Do the best in your situation. If he's an outside dog with a heavy coat he may simply be too warm in the house. Give him a good haircut and see if that helps.

Don't worry about it Jack. I am not trying to pick on you but I've seen this enough that I want others to "look before they leap". I planned for about 8 years before I got my first dog. I understand that most folks are probably not that anal but looking into costs going forward is important for prospective dog owners.

It is a tough situation any many times there is more to the story than meets the eye and that could certainly be the case with your pooch. Do the best in your situation. If he's an outside dog with a heavy coat he may simply be too warm in the house. Give him a good haircut and see if that helps.

haha, he definitely needs a haircut! i just need someone to hold him down!!! i should get a video of him doing 360's in the garage to show how hyper he really is. I can't believe how out of hand that other thread became, and I'm definitely sorry that it happened. I've had dogs my whole life and this year is a PERFECT year for me to have a puppy! I'm living at home, working, and going to school. I have a TON of time to spend with my pup, which is critical in the way he acts in the future.

Note: I have obviously been raised differently than most people on this forum. I guess my parents never decided to take our animals to the vet, and it has worked out for us so far. If something major happens, I wouldn't let my dog suffer because of money. I'll take him to the vet because it's common sense. Right NOW I see no reason to take my dog to the vet, except for a simple check up. It's amazing how well animals heal BY THEMSELVES, and even simple things like their saliva heal their flesh wounds. If my dogs get hurt, which they do occasionally, I have given them penicillin. This also does wonders.

If anyone who is reading this was involved in my thread involving my puppy, I apologize once again for any misunderstandings, immature comments, and for making it seem like I could care less about my puppy, Cooper. I wasn't looking to start conflict, and I'm glad a moderator removed the thread. I hope everyone can treat each other like adults, and that as a forum we all look to give each other help and advice in a good way.

Jack.