• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need an opinion on boots!

I'm heading up for the Sturgeon Excursion in mid-April on Lake of the Woods, and I really need to buy a new pair of winter boots first. My old pair has given up the ghost.

Here's my delimma. In the past I have worn both boots specifically made for women and smaller sized mens boots. But never really fallen in love with any particular pair. So, ladies, what kind of boots do you have and are they mens, womens, what? Do you love them, hate them, wish you had something different?

I can't afford to drop a bazillion dollars on this, since we are saving up for the trip, but I want to get something that will last a few years. I'm finally at a stage where no kids will be stealing my boots! Only one kid is left at home and his feet are bigger than mine, yippee!

Any thoughts?

If you're travelling thru Walker on your way up, I'd definitely stop at Reed's. They have a very nice shoe/ boot dept tailored to women. Most of their remaining stock should be on sale by next month. Go online and check them out. They also offer free shipping.

All I can say is ... Steger Mukluks. I've had mine for about 8 years and 1) I've had them for about 8 years grin and 2) my feet have NEVER gotten cold while wearing them. Seriously. I used to have chronic cold feet (just ask my husband :D) Oh, and there's 3) they're also the most comfortable things EVER on my feet. I call them my knee-high slippers.

They are spendy, but I can't say enough good things about the product.

I'm not sure if mukluks are waterproof/ can be waterproofed. It'd be something to keep in mind when looking at them.

Most heavy-duty winter campers that I hear recommend mukluks only recommed them for use when there's not likely to be much liquid water around due to the low temperatures.

You can put water repellent on the mukluks. It's recommended to do that. I would love a pair! My mom just got a pair for Christmas and was VERY skeptical at first but now loves them. She's always had chilly feet too. This will be the next boot I buy when I've got the money to do so.

I think that it's not always just the boot that makes feet warm. It's about the sock too. I'm a huge fan of Smartwool socks. They're warm, wick moisture and some are really cute. I use the light ones for everyday use and then the heavy trekking or something like that for ice fishing and going out on Lake Superior. Buy them online and you'll get a better deal usually.

I wear Lacrosse Ice Kings usually. Not attractive but really warm when I fish when it's below zero. If it's above zero, I wear my Rocky Blizzard Stalkers. I gotta say that I've never been a fan of women's boots. I've tried Columbia, Sorel and a generic pack style boot and have been dissatisfied with them all.

One more food for thought: Some women suffer from Raynaud's syndrome and really have issues with feet and hand warmth. Check out the Mayo Clinic site about info on this.

Yes, socks are more important than any boot you have on your feet. A polypro liner, SmartWool socks and mukluks are my only combo anymore when spending time outdoors. And yep, they can be treated with water repellent. Now granted, I don't spend a lot of time wandering around the slush, but a fair amount out in the woods or even on our "back 40" in deep snow. I just don't have cold feet anymore and it's because of those boots.

That being said, just don't ever work for the owner of the company wink

I've been wearing my Steger muks for 8 years, and I silicone spray the heck out of them, both uppers and lowers. I wear almost no other boots when I fish, and no matter how many holes I drill or how slushy it is out there, I haven't had wet feet. They can't be marketed as waterproof, but in reality they can be made nearly waterproof.

But true, if you are going to stand in water for hours, these will probably not be the best choice. Eventually, water will get in. I use Muckboots for those conditions, so I have a 2-boot system that takes care of every winter boot need I have, be it nature photography, handyman work or laker guiding.

+1,000 on the socks. smile

Not trying to horn in. Just sayin.

I'm glad to hear about waterproofing mukluks. I haven't ever seriously considered them because I wasn't sure about that point, and haven't had occasion to research the heck out of boots in a while. Next time I'm in the market for boots, I have something else to look into.

So, where do you find the Mukluks? We don't always have the best shopping options down here, and I'd kind of like to try them on before I buy. The last pair of boots I had were a bit bigger than I wanted, which was part of the reason I didn't like them much. Even with extra socks, they rattled around on my feet too much, making too much walking a bummer. They thumped up my ankles. Or do I need to do an online thing?

I agree with you on the SmartWool sock thing, something Eric discovered last fall when a buddy of his accidently left a pair behind after a hunting trip. I washed them up and Eric grabbed them one day and fell in love with them.

I can't help you with specific retailers, but I have heard only good things about the quality of Wintergreen clothing. They're based out of Ely.

You maybe know this already, but some slop is good for keeping your feet warm. The extra room allows for some movement of your foot in the boot (which helps bloodflow, and keeps your feet warmer) and still air is a good insulator. So you don't really want tight winter boots. I wear a 10.5 dress and running shoe, an 11 normal street shoe, and a 12 winter pack boot. The boots are pretty sloppy with one pair of socks, and a little loose with two pair, but I don't have to worry about cold feet.

So, where do you find the Mukluks? We don't always have the best shopping options down here, and I'd kind of like to try them on before I buy. The last pair of boots I had were a bit bigger than I wanted, which was part of the reason I didn't like them much. Even with extra socks, they rattled around on my feet too much, making too much walking a bummer. They thumped up my ankles. Or do I need to do an online thing?

I agree with you on the SmartWool sock thing, something Eric discovered last fall when a buddy of his accidently left a pair behind after a hunting trip. I washed them up and Eric grabbed them one day and fell in love with them.

I don't know if they have any distributors any more. That part of the business had started to fail when I was still there, so not sure. You can probably check their HSOforum to see if they do have distributors. Otherwise, I'd just go for a full size bigger than your street shoes/walking shoes. My mukluks are a full size bigger, and I usually wear liners + SmartWool socks. And God bless the person who invented those beauties, eh?? :thumbsup:

For down here on the prairies, I like my Keen boots. They have more of a shoe look to them, but are warm. I typically have cold feet, and I haven't had to head in early because of my toes since I got them last year. I always wear smartwool socks if I'm going to be out for awhile. They fit into snowshoes really well, if you are into that.

I have been out in subzero temps taking pictures of the results of snowstorms, and have been warm the whole time. Of course, I was moving most of the time.

I bought my Keens in Marshall at Borch's Sporting Goods.

I may have to try the Baffins, I have one pair of the Sorrels slip ons and a pair of Kamik men's boots I got on sale. The Kamik's are very warm, most of the time I just wear regular socks with them. The downside is they aren't that comfortable for long treks. I really need comfort and warmth, the slip on Sorrel's get wet easy. Gotta spray them more often.