• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard starting Honda, Spark plugs?

DRH1175

I am wondering what is the norm for changing plugs in atvs. I have a 97 honda foreman and it is a hard starter when it is cold. In summer and fall it fires right up after turning over only once or twice. This winter it has been a different story. It always starts but seems as if I have to turn it over for 30 seconds or more total before it fires. Thinking the Plug could be going bad. Any other ideas?

I have 3 Honda 450es Foremans and just sold a 450s and know them very well.

Put in a New Spark plug and gap it @ (0.032-0.036)in. or (0.8-0.9)mm

If your using Gas with Ethanol (Corn Gas) "Stop it", only use Non-Oxygenated.

When was the last time you adjusted your Valves? EZ to do.

Don't use any oil that is energy saving, I would suggest Maxima ATV Premium, Your clutchs will thank you. Check your Compression.

SeaFoam that Gas! I really think its that Cheap Tortilla Gas.

Are you aware of the manual primer knob. Not sure if that year had them, my 05 does. Definately need to use the primer in really cold weather, otherwise very difficult to start. With the primer they start very easily. Good Luck

I picked up a new plug last night I will gap it to 0.032 to 0.036 and give that a try. How do you adjust the valves? I have never done it. I really don't remember it starting this hard the last 2 winters just this one. I bought it used this is my 3rd winter with it. Like I said it always starts and runs good once it does. Just out of the norm for a Honda. For Oil I have been using the Amsoil 0w-30 ATV oil. Where do you get the Maxima Atv oil, is it better than Amsoil? For Gas I have always used Non Oxy 91 Octane. I use this in all of my small engines, boat, and Atv. I have not put any corn in my engines for a few years now.

I picked up a new plug last night I will gap it to 0.032 to 0.036 and give that a try. How do you adjust the valves? I have never done it. I really don't remember it starting this hard the last 2 winters just this one. I bought it used this is my 3rd winter with it. Like I said it always starts and runs good once it does. Just out of the norm for a Honda. For Oil I have been using the Amsoil 0w-30 ATV oil. Where do you get the Maxima Atv oil, is it better than Amsoil? For Gas I have always used Non Oxy 91 Octane. I use this in all of my small engines, boat, and Atv. I have not put any corn in my engines for a few years now.

If your Choke is set (Seats) you will not have to use the Primer, On really cold starts you run the risk of sucking a Valve seat priming. They are pressed in and in extreme cold they shrink. I have fixed a few top ends that have sucked the seats and bent the valves from reving to high on cold starts. My Foremans start with in a few cranks in 20- everytime.(IMO) I would look at that primer as a last option, for you also run the Risk of Extra Gas in your Crank Case and say good by to your Bearings Sooner or Later.

To set your Valves pop the plug by your pull rope (Thats where the Timing mark is), take off the Valve cover, and line up (TDC) on Compression Stroke. Use a .006 feeler gage and set them with a slight drag. Im sure you can find info on the Net.

When it comes to Oil, "Use what you like". I like what I see using Maxima ATV 10-40 when I tear in to the Top ends for rebuild.. Nice coating of Oil on the cylinder wall of my kids Tumpers using Maxima Racing oils. I get it at BoBs cycle on Hwy 36 Roseville. Not hard to find at all.

I tryed Amsoil (2 stroke) in the kids SnoX sled and had a bad experience with scorched cylinder and gummy APV valves. Went with IPONE oil and never looked back.

A body of mine didnt have a clue he had a primer on his Rincon, starts great now.

Must have been a pre-EFI model.

As far as checking/setting valve clearance, I think MacGyver posted a pretty good detailed 'How To' a while back.