• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumb question...Sales tax on online AR purchase???

I am considering buying an AR online from another state. I know I will have to ship to an FFL etc., but I was wondering if I will have to pay tax on it? I know normally you do not have to pay sales tax on online purchases but did not know if it was different for firearms. Thanks

Typically there are no sales tax charges on an outstate purchase. Now, I do believe if you order an item from a company outside this state and they also have a warehouse or company building of any type, then they will charge you the sales tax even if you ordered it in another state.

The days of ordering items online outstate to save the sales tax fee is coming to an end soon as the states all know they are losing out on alot of sales tax revenue.

One is suppose to pay a user tax to the state when they make a purchase out of state but I doubt anyone does that.

harvey lee nailed it.

A couple of things to thing about: What's the dollar difference between paying sales tax, and paying shipping and transfer fees? What's it worth to you to actually handle the gun you're thinking about buying? What's it worth to you to support a local dealer with your purchase?

I've bought a few guns online, with mixed results. They all work, but seeing the gun in person before making the purchase might've affected my decision in at least one case...

Thanks for the replies guys, Shipping is only 8 bucks and the M4 kit is $585 so it is hard to beat that locally, even when the big boxes put them on sale. I will support the local dealer in Albert Lea by using him for my transfer instead of the big C here in Owatonna.