• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Agility

nofishfisherman

I'm just curious if anyone else has tried agility training for their dogs. I just started my 2 year old Vizsla in agility class just as something fun to do in the winter when its cold out.

So far it has been a lot of fun and he's proving to be a natural.

I'm considering moving on to advanced classes but would be interested in hearing other experiences.

We did the first level of agility training for black lab/terrier mutt when he was a little over a year old. It was SOOOO much fun!

We have no interest in competing (though I bet Mac would be able to pretty darn well), and it's just recreational for us.

So far we've got tunnels, shutes, jumps, teeters, and full-sized A-frames mastered. After the 6-week class and another couple weeks at home, we were able to continuous sequence for a good 2 minutes without many mistakes. Dog walks are a bit tricky as we have to slow down Mac quite a bit or he has a tendency to slip off, he's kind of a big boy. We haven't done agility in a little while, but it was SO much fun when we were able to get out and do it.

Right now our dog is on mandatory rest after sustaining a sprain while he was galloping through the snowbanks out in the woods up north (had to carry the poor 80lb hurt puppy three quarters of a mile back to the house!), so no agility for a few months.

I think we're going to work on weaving this summer, that's a little more mentally challenging and less likely to hurt him coming off an injury.

I was surprised to see how quick my dog took to the agility course. After the second week he has the teeter, A frame, jumps, tunnel, table, hoops, and chute pretty much figured out. He can do the weave pretty well if I'm there motioning with my hand which way to go. He was even able to complete several full run throughs of the course without any trouble.

THe trainer encourages treats after each obstacle but my dog just ignores it and runs to the next obstacle. He's a pretty high energy so I thought it would be hard to get him to sit and stay on the table during the middle of the course but he has done that perfectly.

I think he's just so eager to please when he thinks its a game that he'll do whatever i want him to.

It really has been a lot of fun.

I have a Border that my wife used to run in agility all the time. The dog is a competitor and is in the excellent field. My wife passed a way about ten months ago. Since then I have taken the dog to competitions and its been very fun. I am not very good at it. Trying to run an excellent dog with a rookie trainer, lets just say I have goofed her up plenty. She has managed a second place finish with me once. But I usually forget an obstacle or something to goof her up. I have met lots of people with hunting dogs that do agility also. Also my wife had started my yellow lab in agility but I dont anymore. Its also a fun thing to do in the summer. The outdoor events are a blast.

bottomdweller,

I'm sorry for your loss. Keeping up with the border's agility work is a pretty neat way to remember your wife.

My grandpa often talks about the black lab that eventually taught him how to work cattle. All my grandpa had to do was be willing to learn the lesson. Maybe your border's just waiting for the right time to clue you in. wink

BD say high to Gail Eckles when you run in to her, she is running one of my dogs in it. Dulce. She does well, and would help you out I am sure. She is at all of em I think. Liver and white ESS, she was the first place dog in the advanced something or other this weekend. She's a hoot.