• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Backup camera 20D or 30D

In the process of looking for a second body, mostly as a backup and to use at Field Trials and Hunt tests with a shorter lens on it for at the line photo's. Looks like you can find gently used 20D's for around $250.00 and used 30D's for $350. There seems to be plenty of both out there with a shutter count of 20,000 or less.

I started out with a Rebel so I'm not that familiar with the earlyier 20 and 30's. What are the pro's and cons of each and if you were looking for a backup/second body what would you be looking for?

I have a 50D as my primary body.

Thanks

The larger LCD on the 30D is nice. If you go from your 50D down to the postage stamp sized 20D LCD, you'll think you've died and gone to he!!. smile

Other differences that I liked back when I made the upgrade included a quieter shutter on the 30D and the 1/3 stop ISO adjustment availability on the 30D rather than the full stop adjustment of the 20D. If memory serves, the sensor itself was identical. I thought autofocus was slightly better on the 30D, though it was good on the 20D too.

You'll know right away that either of these bodies was a significant step up from the Rebel bodies of the day, and definitely part of the same series as the 50D. The rear menu control buttons will take just a bit of getting used to, as they are positioned differently than on the 50D, and the 20D/30D menu doesn't have all those subcategories like the 50D does (I find those subcategories irritating).

You'll also note that, when zooming in to full magnification on the LCD, the image at full magnification is not as sharp as it appears on the 50D LCD. The image itself will be just as sharp as what you get out of a 50D, lenses and such being equal. It's just a limitation of the older LDC resolution, and will take some time for you to adjust your assessment on what is and is not an acceptably sharp image. Easiest way to do that is take a tack sharp image on the 50D, zoom in to see how sharp it appears on the LCD, swap the memory card into the 30D and perform the same test. The difference will be apparent.

A couple more differences between the two is the ratings for shutter count on a 20D was 50,000 and the 30D was 100,000. The other was the frame on a 20 was plastic and the 30 was made of magnesium. When I was looking at getting into a DSLR it was enough to make me go with the 30D when I was buying new.

Interesting. We were gonna put my wife's 20D up for sale for $250.

LNIB

Ordered her a 60D,otherwise we'd keep it.

The 20D is still more camera than most folks will ever know how to use.

The most sucessful portrait photographer in our area still uses a 20D as his main camera,he's been at it over 35 years and has a beautiful studio and a VERY comfortable income.

20D's are good cameras,the trick is finding one that hasn't been exposed to moisture,and has a low shutter count.

I'm with MM on that for sure. On balance, considering the camera models I've owned so far, the large majority of my professional work was done with the 20D and 30D, though of course that's changing as the days go by. smile

Jim, glad you pointed out a couple other key differences. I had this sneaking suspicion I was missing a couple factors, but my memory ain't what it used to be. crazy

Interesting. We were gonna put my wife's 20D up for sale for $250.

LNIB

Ordered her a 60D,otherwise we'd keep it.

The 20D is still more camera than most folks will ever know how to use.

The most sucessful portrait photographer in our area still uses a 20D as his main camera,he's been at it over 35 years and has a beautiful studio and a VERY comfortable income.

20D's are good cameras,the trick is finding one that hasn't been exposed to moisture,and has a low shutter count.

If the shutter count is relatively low Id'e be interested.