• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filters on your lenses

How many of you guys keep a filter on your lenses for protection of the glass? The 300 F4 IS that I baught comes with a B+W 77mm XS-Pro digital 010 UV MRC filter, I'll do some testing but by the looks of the reviews this is a pretty good filter and some claim no negetive effect on image quality. I know I had baught a cheap filter for my 70-200 and it was terrible, had it on once and never put it on again.

No protective filters for me. A high quality UV filter costs about the same as a front lens element in most cases, so I don't spend the xtra bucks. A person would need to buy one filter for each lens, really, so I'd be looking at an additional $500 or so.

My lenses also ALWAYS wear their hoods, which protect the front elements from lots of dings. Lastly, the only time I point a lens up is when I'm shooting up. No end of bad things can happen to a front element when photographers keep it pointed to the sky. blush

To date, I've never gotten a scuff or scratch on a lens element. Knock on wood! smile

It's purely an individual decision, however. High Q UV filters shouldn't have an impact on image quality.

No filters for me either. Just never had a problem and as Steve mentioned I most often shoot with a hood on and that gives excellent protection by keeping the front element away from danger. When I shoot with the hood off (hockey next to glass) I use a metal ring (adapter) to keep the front of the lens off the glass.

I've seen filters cause lens flare under certain lighting conditions so if you going to use one stick with a high quality filter such as B+W, Hoya or Tiffen.

Thanks guys for the input. Since it was recommended in High School photography class (not a recent thing), I've always used a semi cheap UV on the lenses to "protect them". I just never considered the sharpness degradation factor. Duh.