• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another ? for the pros

I still shoot with my Canon XS20 IS that has a 20 zoom and 80 digital zoom. I hope to go the SLR way someday and I'm wondering what I need for a lens that is close to the 80 zoom. Or is that overkil?? What # lens should I keep my eye out for? Thanks!!

It is hard to compare P & S to a DSLR but looking at the specs on a Canon SX130 and this is the optical zoom that is 12X and it is: - 12x Zoom Lens (28-336 mm Equivalent)

While that all sound nice, there is a reason why people spend big bucks on there lenses instead of using P & S.

You should go into a photo shop or meet up with some people who are shooting and take a look at birds or wildlife to see what a 400mm lens will do so it would be a better comparison.

The reason I say a 400mm because I am going to guess that at 20X optical you would be close to a 500mm lens and they are about $6140.00- Free Shipping winkgrin

OK and thanks. I guess I'll have my SX20IS for a while yet! If I do get a camera maybe I'll start with a 200. Here's an example of the zoom. It's about 45 yards to my neighbors trash can to the right of the garage door.

1. regular

2. 20

3. 80

Just 3 quick shots out the back door.full-27930-4839-1.jpg

full-27930-4841-2.jpg

full-27930-4842-3.jpg

That 20x optical zoom is excellent. The digital zoom, as I'm sure you know, achieves its effect by cropping away so only the center of the image is left, so there's enough data to share a pic online on a computer screen but usually not enough data for a good sized print.

ok thanks, the 80 works dandy only in real good light conditions so it's not used much. But there's lots inbetween too of course.

EOS Rebel XS 18-55IS Kit + EF 75-300mm III

something like this wont break the bank and should be a good starter?

If your 20X zoom is starting out at 28mm, the high end would be 560mm which is pretty close to the Canon 400mm when the 1.6 crop factor is included. The crop factor of a 400mm is 640mm and on the 500mm is 800mm. If you're looking at the 75-300mm for about $160, save your money until you can afford a decent long zoom. With lenses, you really do get what you pay for. Also, when noting focal lengths, always ignore the digital zoom. Using the digital zoom just degrades the image right from the start. You are much better off using just the optical zoom and cropping as much as you can on the computer.