• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got some new Hillbilly Spinner Parts Today

merkman

Hey Merkman-

I went to ABC and got all the parts there. I tested out a 10K, 5K, 2K, a 500 and a 200 and ended up with the 200. I was able to get it up to full speed and had adjustment almost all the way across the range of the pot. Now I have to build some little boxes and I'm off to the races. Thanks again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Merkman-

I went to ABC and got all the parts there. I tested out a 10K, 5K, 2K, a 500 and a 200 and ended up with the 200. I was able to get it up to full speed and had adjustment almost all the way across the range of the pot. Now I have to build some little boxes and I'm off to the races. Thanks again.

Woo hoo

It won't be long.....

how much is your redneck spinner, the new model

Not for sale, I prefer to spend more time fishing than working smile , and after making one of these you will know it isn't a get rich quick scheme, just a hobby.

I am only going to make these two this year, and they are spoken for.

Probabaly another 2 or 3 next year.

I will help you out if you want to make your own though.

Merk, what kind of fitting do you have in the top of that thing where you got the hanger screwed into?

The outer box is a Thomas & Betts E987F-CAR Pvc Conduit Body 1" Type C

6880322.jpg

The current motor I have was just a tish bigger than the 1" PVC opening.

I dremmeled out the bottom of the 1" PVC opening to let the tabs from the motor clear. Then heated the outside of the opening with a heat gun and pushed the motor in so it would fit.

5336707136_f4d176b348.jpg

The top plug is a standard 1" PVC glue in plug.

Plugs.jpg

Drill the hole in the center, install the eye hook.

I used a lock nut for the bottom nut.

Once complete, then glue the plug in to the opening.

This shows it from both sides once glued in.

5336707424_7100768359.jpg

5336708186_9360107863.jpg

i meant how much money you have put into it?

So far I have the following

Motor - ABC Electronics - $12.99 each

Toggle Switch - AXMAN - $2.50 each (normaly $1 each )

5 K potentiometer - Radio Shack - $2.99 each

Control knob - Radio Shack - $ .75 each

9 Volt Battery Clip - AXMAN - $ .75 each

9 Volt Battery Holder - Radio Shack - $ .50 each

1" PVC Plug - Menards - $ .67 each

1" PVC C Conduit Box - Menards - $ 3.49 each

1/4" X 2 5/8" Eye Bolt - Menards - $ 0.48 each (they didn't have shorter)

3/8" Spring Snap - Menards - $ 0.95 each

Total Parts $26.07 plus tax

"Shop Supplies":

Locktite Instant Mix 5 Min epoxy.

Small screws

1/4" lock nut

Wire, solder, etc

Merkman-

Those boxs look awesome. I ended up building some little cedar boxes for mine, which is taking forever, will post some pics when they are done. What size pot did you end up using?

Merkman-

Those boxs look awesome. I ended up building some little cedar boxes for mine, which is taking forever, will post some pics when they are done. What size pot did you end up using?

Cool

I will be interested in seeing what you came up with.

Laska has a box built too.

I missed him on his way up north but expect to see him this eve on his way back.

I ended up using the 5K pot just to get the thing together this weekend.

It works, but there is not a lot of adjustment range.

I am going to replace it when I find one that is the right physical and electrical size.

I knew I would be spending time at the house this weekend so I thought it was best to make it happen then replace the pot with a 200 Ohm one when I get the chance.

Im back home already, wish I could have stopped but we had trailer issues(lights) so we just went home merk shoot me an email...

Winnie went horribly wrong with spinners, 1st I forgot mine at home, then I had all the stuff to make one when I went to see merk and then I missed him, so instead of a dbl spinner I had to use my deaks more o well I guess.

Okay Merkman, here it is. I built four of them, one for my brother (who does not deserve one) two for my boys and one for me. They came out pretty nice, but yours look more sleek! I figure that if I charged a $1 an hour for these they would only cost about $500 a piece wink I was in ABC the other day and could not resist getting the parts to make another but I am going to use your design for that one. Besides taking off the gear and that little plate off the motor, did you take anything else off to fit it in that box?

full-35690-4999-spinnerfront.jpg

full-35690-5000-spinnerback.jpg

HEY MERKMAN, almost feel off my chair when i seen your parts list. thomas and betts is one of the union shops i represent. they are in hagar city wisc. across the river from red wing. BUT you would not want to use what they make in that plant, you'd need more ice than what we get to hold your fishhouse up! that plant makes the huge power poles you see along the highways. T &B corporate office is in memphis tenn and they make mant elec parts. i believe they have like 22 plants across the world.

That is a very nice looking box!!

I was surprised to see the fancy on off switch plate on the toggle switch.

I assumed that was and Axman excusive but maybe I didn't have to spring the extra buck for that?

Thanks Merkman! ABC had a pile of different switches and these were $1.99, which I think is what you paid. As a side note, I did buy a 30 ohm pot to try on these, but it did not have enough resistance to stop the motor. I wanted to try a 100 pot, but they did not have any. I think that 100 would be the way to go and give you even more adjust-ability to fine tune the spin.

I got the parts for the coupler to the motor tonight.

I will post the directions and pics up this weekend if I get around to it.

HEY MERKMAN, almost feel off my chair when i seen your parts list. thomas and betts is one of the union shops i represent.

Ohh crud....

The price of the Hillbilly Spinners just went up.

We have to pay glen union dues now... grin

YEP! and you already have the address! gringrin i'll expect to see the check first part of next week!!!!!!! gringrinlaugh dont know if anyones traveled i-94 through monticello lately but those new poles are T &B "s union made poles also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What coupler are you talking about? I want to see that! Thanks for all the help with these man!

!BUTVKZQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKM1kD3

I was gonna make some but then I found some on an internet auction site so I bought them.

They will be here in a week or so.