• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12v Accessory Plug

vman11

I am looking to add a 12v plug for a gps, mostly used for ice fishing.

Any tips or suggestions to look into before doing this? To be honest I don't even know if my machine (97 XLT Special) has a battery and if that matters? If possible plan on mounting this near the key and choke switch.

If you dont have a battery it gets a bit tricky. It also depends what you plan on plugging into it. Shield heaters and lights etc are no problem, but if you want to use things like GPS or other electronics that need a more consistent voltage, you need to incorporate more.

Rather than go into detail, I'd suggest getting one of the kits that are available if you plan on using electronics safely.

I am looking to add a 12v plug for a gps, mostly used for ice fishing.

Any tips or suggestions to look into before doing this? To be honest I don't even know if my machine (97 XLT Special) has a battery and if that matters? If possible plan on mounting this near the key and choke switch.

Yes you must have a battery and charging system because you will blow your GPS fuse or it, if you hook it up to the watts/amps being put out by the battery less system. What I did was added a 12v Vex battery under my hood and then added a Cig, lighter plug on the lower side of the dash by the pull rope so I could still open the hood to get the battery in & out for recharging. wink

Hey Leech, How many hours do you get out of a vex battery using just the gps. I was looking at my sled the other day just for this reason. No room really anywhere uner there without some serious mods. Im thinking of putting it above the gauges, held down by velcro.

Im tired of the H2O eating up batteries in the cold an running out on the way in in the dark.

Hey Leech, How many hours do you get out of a vex battery using just the gps. I was looking at my sled the other day just for this reason. No room really anywhere uner there without some serious mods. Im thinking of putting it above the gauges, held down by velcro.

Im tired of the H2O eating up batteries in the cold an running out on the way in in the dark.

You can get a good 7-8hrs I would think but I have never really ever had it on that long. I have a H20 but mainly on the sled I use my XOG hooked up. There is another way to extend the run life you could try depending what kind of plug end you have for your GPS. There are these small battery packs in the camera and cell phone area at stores that they call charges, but really they are just small battery packs. My XOG has a USB cable plug in so I can use that as well to extend my GPS usage a few more hours. For those that have that kind of cable ends used on these little charger/battery packs that maybe the way to go as well. wink

Here is how I mounted mine. I made a small holder and put it on the back side of the right foot stirrup. I got the battery at a big name battery store for around 20 bucks. It is 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 and 4 inches tall.

I can run my GPS for a few days easily and just charge it when I get home.

full-8254-4701-batmount002.jpg

Here is how I mounted mine. I made a small holder and put it on the back side of the right foot stirrup. I got the battery at a big name battery store for around 20 bucks. It is 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 and 4 inches tall.

I can run my GPS for a few days easily and just charge it when I get home.

full-8254-4701-batmount002.jpg

That's where I have mine as well! wink

Thats what I did too for my Garmin Nuvi except I put my battery in the back toolbox (I've got lots of places to hook those little bungy cords too ). My cord dangled along side the seat but it worked good for temp. purposes.

Under the hood would be better for long term use though, you should have long run times on these batteries.

Mike

I talked to my local Polaris dealer and they didn't have much to say. It was hard to believe nobody else has ever asked them this question.

Looks like you guys who have installed small batteries underneath the hood nailed it on the head. I will definitely have to take a look at a similar set up. Thank you for the pics/suggestions.

I made mine by cutting off the end of one of these parts bins. They are strong as heck and the cold doesnt seem to affect it, and the battery fit perfect.

full-8254-4796-batbox.jpg

Good idea, mine was made out of thin plywood, glue and little brads which I worry about it felling apart with all the jarring when out on the lake. Those little batteries still have some weight to them! wink