• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GWP breeders?

Kylersk

If I were looking to get a pup it would be DD. And I'd check out Ned Sorley, Dan Ritter, and Jack Wilson.

You'd probably be happy with any and all of the DD's within your driving distance.

Also a Vom Britt Bird Dawg should be nice, I tried to contact him last fall, early Sept. He wasn't home b/c he was out in ND hunting. That's a plus in my book. He did return my call, but I didn't speak with him.

I researched and then researched some more before I selected my GWP. I highly recommend Dan Griffith out Sioux Falls [please read forum guidelines]. My pup is by far the smartest and quickest dog I have trained and the whole litter was that way. By far the best coat I've seen on a GWP too. Also check out the Navhda results, anything with Griffith's as the kennel name has done alot of winning in the last couple of years. Pup's run about $800. The mother is DD from Jack Wilson and the father is GWP Saltyfoote, but is registered GWP. Tell him Sunny's owner sent you.

Dan Ritter is out of Woodbury and has excellent pups too. I've got several friends with his dogs, they run about $1500 when I was looking, which was out of my range.

Here is a good place for information on litters and breeders of DD's [please read forum guidelines]. Also a couple good books to read on training are Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson and How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey. Also check out these two groups, VDD-GNA and NAVHDA. Now that you have choosen the breed the fun begins, lots of calls and research, have fun. I'm done with that part now its the wait that is killing me, new pup in May.

I got my GWP from Top Shelf Kennels in Horace, N.D. (Just south and west of Fargo). Jeff Jalbert runs some great dogs, and he's a heckuva nice guy, too. I've had my pup hunting since he was three months old. He's now seven months, and he's done well on everything from doves and ducks to grouse and pheasants. Plus, he's one of the best family dogs I've ever been around. Give Jeff a call:[please read forum guidelines].

Here's a picture of my pup from our last pheasant hunt of the season on Christmas Morning.

Remy on a trail:

IMG_0298.jpg

And Remy at the end of the hunt. He's a tad snowy:

IMG_0351.jpg

Tyler look at your papers, did Jeff use Saltyfoote (Cosmo) as the father again for your pup? I know he had great success with Cosmo, and my females body coat looks like yours, flat and thick. Rub it backwards and you can't see the skin, great for water.

I'll have to dig up my papers. I'm not 100 percent certain who he used. All I know is the results are phenomenal. Jeff kept two of the pups from the 12-pup litter, and their coats are a tad shaggier than Remy's. I guess I got lucky!

I agree, some say it's a defective gene with coat and consistency in the litter. However, my GWP is an outside dog with a hound heater in her crib. So I can't have one with a shorthair coat, nor do I want one with a wooly coat either. My last one had the wooly coat, but no thickness underneath for water protection.

Coat on a wirehair is right up there with brains/temperment and nose, for me.

Also if some breeder tells you that you can tell the coat by the hair between their pads, that is false! As I have seen a GWP with hairy feet (underneath between the pads) that looked like a shorthair. In fact she gets mistaken for a shorthair.

Remy gets mistaken for a GSP all the time. People always are asking what he's crossed with because his face is so hairy. "No, he's 100 percent wirehair," I say.

On one not, I did discover that, at least with Remy's litter, what they looked like at 8 weeks definitely gave a clue as to how they'd be full grown. Remy was the shortest-haired pup of the bunch. His hairier sister, Copper, turned out, well, hairier. Now, I doubt this is true all the time, but it's something to consider when picking out a pup.

I bought my GWP from Can-Am kennels in Thorp,WI and have been happy with my hunting partener. I think Thorp is in your driving range of the cities. I bought Gunner at the game fair with intensions of just looking for breeders but after talking to Silver I decided to go with one of his pups. I can't speak for their kennel because I never seen it but they are very knowlegable of the breed and down to earth people. They are not about all the glamor and big money. I've been happy with the purchase and would use them again.

Tracey

I've heard good things about Thunderhill Kennels in Superior, WI.

+1

My 1 yr old GWP is from Thunderhills kennels and she's great. I didn't test her this fall but one of her litter mates scored Prize 1 perfect score for NA (NAVHDA). Jeff Paulus is the breeder---great guy.

Couldn't be happier at this point.

Someone earlier also mentioned Top Shelf. Jeff Jalbert also has great dogs----considered buying one but he didn't have a litter in the time frame I was looking for.