• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV tire chains...diamond shape vs. bar shape

LipRipper!!

I posted this here instead of the atv forum to get more input... I am looking to buy tire chains for my ranger. I was wondering what the + and - is of the diamond shape vs. the 2 link bar chains. I was also wondering what affects they have on handling and on the tires. Any 2c would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Ripper!! whistle

They're a bit spendy, but Tatou all season tracks by Camoplast on your Ranger will go through just about anything, including slush. They give you almost 17 inches of clearance.

Put them on in the winter and you will never buy a snowmobile again unless you are a hard core trail rider.

Diamond pattern with studs is definitely worth the extra cost. I run studded diamond pattern on the rears and two link v bar on the front. Chains are not too hard on tires if installed correctly. Riding on rock is by far worse for tires.

I have mine installed tight and safety wired. I am comfortable to about 25mph.

I have diamonds on my big bear 350 and it will out pull an ATV twice my size with v bar chains on. The diamond pattern ensures that you have continous traction. I have mine safety tied on and have gone 25 mph no problem. The issue you will find is that if you dont have studs on your front tires (or chains) it is a bit hard to steer on glare ice. I just put in some sheet metal screws into my fronts ant it turns pretty well. Spend the extra money for the diamonds. One note is that the diamond pattern will tear the heck out of tar or cement. I only drive straight in and out of my garage.

I use to run chains till I had one let go and wrapped around one of my front CV shaft. Now I take 5/16 head sheet metal screws and put them in my lugs. About 50-60 in each tire all the way around. Talk about traction and the I drive my 4 wheeler very little in the summer so I just leave them in year round.