• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Deer Hunting!?

thesecret

I have had a great deer hunting spot in the metro for 6 years now and When I first started hunting there We would see 10-30 deer a weekend and 5-10 every week night we would go hunting. It was a great spot to take new hunters and kids with cause there was always action. But since the DNR started working for the insurance agencys and letting hunters take as many deer as they want, the deer numbers have gone to almost nothing. This year i have hunted that spot around 25 times and have seen 9 deer, 8 does and 1 little 6 buck.

Just because the DNR lets you shoot as many deer as you want,, WHY WOULD YOU!!!!

Still plenty of deer in my area. Maybe a food source in your area recently changed? Maybe a favorite bedding area recently turned into a housing development? Not many people hunting in the metro have the same problem as you.

The twin cities area was an intensive area for years prior to going to no quota.

Do you really think there are that many people out there shooting more than 5 deer a piece? Sure there might be some, but its not many.

I really doubt that many guys that were shooting 5 deer before are now piling up 10 of them.

I cant find the data right now, but the number of hunters that tag 5 deer per season statewide is under 1% of the total population of hunters.

Has no quota lowered some populations in areas? Sure, I would have to think so.

What else may have changed in the area over 6 years? Was it hunted prior to you starting to hunt there?

I could have harvested 5 deer alone, but we take only as much as we can consume. so were looking at 5 deer but that is between me my dad and uncle to take 5 all together so really its almost 2 deer a person... now if we had larger groups like we did b4 and all the deer is split for all of us and to feed our family then were getting close to 3-5 deer a person but thats because maybe one guy might get none so we have to compensate for him

either way the deer pop is decreasing but not because of us but because of the state forest were on is decreasing because the state has sold more than half to the public and some has turned into farmland the rest is all private land. that just says how much land was lost because more than half is gone but we still have alot of room though not as much as b4 but were starting to get close to one another hearing how loud a gunshot is from you. really bums me out because not all of us can afford to buy land and the only publick land we can find is shrinking

knowing that i can sure tell you all that in the future hunting isnt looking good, we will all be squished up in wma's soon