• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fisrt time spearing...A Success

bowhunt

Well guys, after all of the questions and all of your great advise I finally got out for the first time today. Got all set up by 9am and didn't get off the lake until sunset but I was able to get my fist two pike with the spear. So I consider it a great success. They were pretty small 1.5# maybe 2, but I wasn't being picky my first time out, and they tasted delicious tonight for dinner.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has offered there advise and opinions on all the questions I have asked. I am sure I will have more but it deffinitly helped a lot. I was really amazed at how easy it was to cut the ice with the ice saw, cut to big of a hole and didn't have room for my heater in the pop up. Good thing it wasn't to cold today. I would post pics but can't with out them having a web address.

Thanks,

Bowhunt

congrats on your first 2 fish!! Bet your hooked! Those size fish are what I mainly like to spear, great as fillets or pickled.... Holes are easy to cut until there 24+" of ice then its a treat, but the ice saw still cuts just as good. What kind of decoys were you using?

I had a large red and white wooden decoy, and a pretty good sized real sucker decoy. They seemed to be going after the live sucker the most, didn't show much interest in the fake decoy. The second one I speared bit the decoy right in the head and I speared him with the sucker in his mouth. That was pretty exciting.

Bowhunt