• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frabils "Gussy"

fiskyknut

Okay I have'nt fondled one of these and may be in the market for another outside sturdy rod. Not looking for a pitch but an honest review from anyone who has used or handled one.

Looking for something non pool cuish with just a bit of tip action for jigging lures I'll mention below. Pretty much for Walleye and I wanna use it with mono more often than not. Will this rod fish a #4 Darter type okay? Kinda stiff maybe. #5 and 7 Raps and 3/16 and 1/4 oz airplane/flier types are some of my favorite searchers and I do some river/current at times and may use a jig of one type or another up to a 1/2 an ounce.

Anyone familiar with those Genz 34 inch MH Lightning rods from a few years back? I use one of these, mine is a baitcaster. Want something a tad lighter than that with some tip action that will fish somewhat lighter baits okay and still have plenty of ooomph.

This has been a hard to find rod type for me as I do not have that 'just perfect' stick I've been looking for. Any other suggestions? I have'nt fondled a Thorne MH Sweetheart either, 36 incher recoil guides maybe what I'm looking for? Thoughts? Wish I could play with a few b4 buying for sure!!

Ya man I would value your opinion so once you get your hands on it let me know what/how you think it'll fish. Don't wanna mail order buy it without some knowledge of it as I don't need another rod that replicates action-wise that there Genz rod I carry eh.

Heck dangle a coupla lures I mentioned off the end of it !!!

Thanks Mike.

i did read that it has a softer tip because gussy fishes with braid a lot for lakers. i read this after i ordered it. i hope its not too soft. i want to be able to effectively jig some heavy lures. i think it will be nice tho. gussy catches a lot of BIG fish in canada snf this rod is designed for big fish.

hopefully i get it monday or tuesday.

I ran the 38" Frabill Jeff Gustafson last year when they first went out to Frabill staff for evaluation.

I also ran the Frabill Eric Haataja Ice Hunter 38" Med. Very nice combo as well, good feel to it.

ice-hunter_combo_5.png

I like the Gustafson Hunter Series a lot, great long rod for walleye. The thin stainless steel guides shed ice well, rod blank curve is very goods for swim baits in med to heavy weights.

6789_sm.jpg

I use them with Salmo Zippers, Blade Baits, Salmo Chubby Darters, Reel Baits Flasher jigs up to 3/4 oz...some beefy stuff.

They both are great combo's, rod action varies a bit between the two, so compare both and see what feels like the firmness you wish.

For use on big eyes, both are winners in my book.

I have'nt fondled a Thorne MH Sweetheart either, 36 incher recoil guides maybe what I'm looking for? Thoughts? Wish I could play with a few b4 buying for sure!!

Fisky, I could lend you a 36MH sweetheart for a try. I got it as a light laker rod, hasn't got much use. I have intentions of spending a bunch of time in the Baudette area until mid-January. Thinking of heading up Friday for a first go.

The thorne rods are top quality, you can customize it to the length you want. If you call thorne i know if you talk to lonnie who makes the rods will be able to really help you out if your looking to go that way. I have yet to hear of any problems with thorne rods either. It comes down to what you wanna spend. on the recoil guides it really just makes it lighter and better for outside. I would go with the recoil guides if you go the thorne route. But the other frabill rods mentioned are quality rods as well. I havnt had a problem with the lighter action perch rod i have of theres.

just got the combo in the mail. they say the reel is a 2000 size. its the smallest 2000 iv ever seen. not a huge deal because im putting 10/4 fireline on it.

the rod is very nice. it does have a soft tip but stiffens up nicely down the rod. the rod has plenty of back bone to handle the big ones. im excited to see this one in action. now i just need some safe ice!

Ya I'm not sure about that 2000 deal either? It appears more like a 750 class to me? Good reeel, just throws you off in the description.

I think...it is supposed to read up to a 2000?

The 2000 reefers to the spool diameter, as in 2000 MM, but it doesn't look that way to me either.

I put a US REEL US230SX on mine, that makes a great combo, the oversize diameter spool functions well on it. I re-lubed it with Hot Sauce, go to go at -30 now.

1000235370.jpg

Question For you Mike. How small of lure do you figure that rod will fish?

fishwater.. Thanks for the offer. I am kinda leaning toward the TB mh. I'm hoping to be over on the eastside next weekend. You don't happen to fly fish do ya??

E me at fiskyknut at yahoo. 2 K's in that!

"i bet you could fish an 1/8oz."

Hmmmm very interesting, thanks Mike. Now i'm really scratching my melon.

Gonna give fishwaters TB a test jiggle tis weekend or next maybe.

Hoping Strieffs in Warroad or maybe one of the Baudette shops have that frabil on a shelf for me to check out too?