• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brought it home!!

tipup

Congrats on the sled tipup! You'll have a blast with it, one thing, get a set of ice scratchers for it, the best $40 - $50 you can spend for a sled with deep lugs, you'll be happy you got them, if you have reverse, they make ice scratchers that are made of cable, SlideKicks if I'm not mistaken is what they are called, that way if you backup you don't bend them like you would the regular straight steel ones.

I know in a previous post you mentioned something about a boost bottle, some of those 700's in that era were prone to a PTO end failures ( not trying to put down that RMK at all, it's a good rig ) I'd take it easy with the mods, if you want, google ' snowtech 700 pto failure ' they explain a few items there.

LETS HOPE FOR SNOW!!!!

Mike

Thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the artical and it makes sense. seems like it may be more of a problem with the 800's but I will keeep it in mind, probably wont do anything with it until I need to or I take it in for another service.

Does anyone know of a place that sells ice scratchers here in Southern Minnesota? I suppose I could by them on line but hate the wait for them to get here. Also if anyone has them do they work as good as they say???

I didn't know the 8's had an issue until I saw that article, the issues I had heard of in the past were always on the 7's, either way it's something to be aware of any how.

I've run scratcher on my last 2 Mtn. sleds, the last set I bougth came from Dennis Kirk, order today, you'll have them tomorrow. Not sure where my buddy got his cabled ones but after I folded mine under the sled a couple times last year, those will be what I have next. Don't expect them to do much on pure ice but on hard pack snow they will definetly help keep you sled from overheating.

Mike

You can get the scratchers at Shade Tree in Big Lake. I have them on my sled and they do work very well, just don't back up (I have the solid wire type). I did some research last year and the consensus on the cable type was that they do not work as well as the solid wire scratchers, but do offer some give if you accidentally back up (they are just a thick piece of steel cable with a stratching tip on the end). Around here, the biggest issue is on bare ice where I don't know if the cable scratchers would be powerful enouch to scrape into the ice.

On the other hand, I never used the scratchers on my sled last year as there was enough snow for the riding that I did. The lakes has snow all winter, and the trail rides that I took were when there was enough snow to make it worth riding. At the end of the season, I re-built my skid and the hyfax were still in very good condition (144" track/2" lugs). In any case, congrats on the purchase and have fun riding this winter!

Tipup, enjoy the sled! Make sure to pick up an extra CDI to carry with you, used ones run around $100. Nothing worse then being out on the trail and the sled just shuts down. The Ducati ignition on the 1998 and 1999 twins sucks. I went through 3 on my old twin. I know the feeling about getting a new to you machine, just picked up an '06 600 Switchback with 400 miles, dreading putting the first scratch in it.

Jeepers all these issues and everything I read about the 700 never mentioned anything(cdi, pto, ect.) has me kind of wondering if I did the right thing. I have always had polaris and I felt I did my research and picked out a good one?! Maybe I will get lucky!! Thanks anyhow for all the heads up and lets hope for snow and my 700 to be trouble free!!!

Maybe the owner before me fixed all of these issues allready!!!

never owned anything besides a cat, and has yet to leave me or any of my buddies stranded anywhere for any reason. But on a more serious note, everything breaks down. Last year i rode from fbo to mankato and back looped around home after a big storm. Saw a newer ski-doo, polaris and an older polaris and cat on the side of the trail with the hood up. Couldnt say i saw a yama cuz i didnt see any even on the trail. they must have been at home in the garage laugh