• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Superior Circle Tour

titelines

Have any of you done the Circle Tour of Lake Superior? A buddy and I want to do it next year and are working out the preliminary details.

I did this trip with the family a bunch of years ago and know that it's about 1500 miles, but I'm thinking of going off the trail a little bit (to go up to Copper Harbor etc.). We're thinking 10 days should do it. We'll be camping.

Any info/advice that anyone can provide would be great. Things that can't be missed, things that can be missed, side trips etc.

We may have another buddy come with us, but he'd have to rent a bike. Any spots in/around Duluth to rent a bike?

Thanks!!

I completed the circle tour in 06. There was/is a rally every year and part of it is a 5 day ride around Superior. The only thing I would do different is taking more time and spending more time from in Michigan and northern Wisconsin. There are a lot of areas to see. Also Michigan does have a helmet law.

Thanks for that info, I was thinking the same thing. Lots to see in those areas, especially for a couple guys that haven't been up this way ever. Plans are being made, so anyone else with info/opinions, please chime in.

Thanks!

We did the tour in 2006. Just a hair under 2000 miles in 6 days (East Grand Forks, MN to Duluth, around the lake, and back to EGF). Would have taken more time, but we were limited by vacation time. We thought the best parts of the trip were on the US side -- the North Shore in MN, and the South Shore in MI and WI. I would agree with the Copper Harbor recommendation -- beautiful riding and scenery.

Enjoy the ride!

I have done the circle tour several times. Just did it again last year. We devoted an entire three days to it this year smile

The one place that is a must see, and that very few people know of is the Clarke Motel in Eckerman MI. Andy is the owner and he is an awesome guy. He has his own little version of the Yooper Tourist Trap which is geared toward motorcyclists. He loves bikers and caters to them.

This last year we found a waterfall at the end of a dirt road just East of Wawa. We had to get directions at the general store and drive down some dirt roads, but it was worth it.

There is also a gorge just West of Terrace Bay that is awesome as well. It is a good place for a stop and photo op. Terrace Bay also has a diner that serves authentic Chinese/Canadian food. I am not sure what that is, but it wasn't the best.

We always go clockwise around the lake. I have been told that the scenery is better. I am not sure if that is true, but it is always awesome.

My favorite stretch is the stretch after Terrace Bay. I think the North shore of MN is nice too, but living in Duluth I get spoiled by being so close to it all of the time.

Not sure where you are starting or stopping, but if you are planning to stop in Duluth, let me know. As it gets closer let me know if you have any questions.

Email [email protected]

Erik

The circle tour is a great ride. My wife and I did it the end of August this year, and I agree that the trip to Copper Harbor was certainly a worthwhile addition and a great place to spend a night. It is a quiet little town, with an exceptional waterfront restaurant called the Harbor Haus. Some of the other attractions we visited that we thought were worthwhile were Copper Peak ski flying hill which has tours to the top of a 120 meter ski jump, the locks at Sault St. Marie, and a place called Eagle Canyon Adventures between Nipigon and Thunder Bay that has a 3/4 mile zipline that runs down a canyon. They also have a couple cable bridges across the canyon that run 600', 150' above the canyon floor. We also vist the north shore in Minnesota often, but especially liked the section from Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa. We made the ride in 5 days.