• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solved my smelly puppy problem

Jack Peterson

Threw a bunch of pine wood chips in the dog's crates and in their dog house. mmm, now they don't smell like they peed on themselves.

Best thing about it is if my pup has an accident in the crate, i just scoop it out and add a few more wood chips!

Anybody else use wood chips for dog bedding?

I give my Springer two baths a week, but he's a dog, so he smells bad no matter what. Therefore, I enjoy the smell of pine chips on my dogs. Although, my Golden Retriever doesn't receive a bath in the Fall or Winter. So he stanks!

He's in his crate from 10pm until 6:30am. Rarely has an accident (except when he eats potatoes) grin .

Wood chips are fine. But cedar can cause skin reactions. And has the aroma that may affect the nose. Make sure it is chemical free chips or rather shavings, the finer feathered stuff is better so they don't eat bigger chips. But not dust. No matter how often a pup is let out some just take longer to figure it out. I had one that took 7 months, you could let her out ans she will come in and pee or [PoorWordUsage] in the crate. Ding bat, she is now getting better, but it got old cleaning the crate 2-3 times a day. Darn puppies. The shavings will need to be changed out if messed on but it will absorb the nastiness and keep them cleaner.