• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim birds featured in newest edition of Conservation Volunteer

Scott M

I believe a lot of the owl shots were taken during the year of the big irruption. I have seen them in previous articles he has written about owls and the bog. It was a great presentation none the less.

However, I think that the S. Admiral Tamarack is really the essence of the bog. It is a bog icon, more famous then the birds themselves in my opinion. It may not be spoken of a lot in magazines and articles but it certainly is the most recognizable feature of the bog. If you can't recognize it, you have not "experienced" the bog in its fullest. This tree is comparable to the witch tree on the N.Shore, probably even more famous. I have not seen the witch tree, have no desire but this tamarack has brought smiles to so many faces. Whenever the bog is show cased, you know darn well there is going to be a branch of this tree in there somewhere, somehow, someway. After all where do most of the bog birds sit? Of course on that gnarly, ancient, dead, insect and Dewalt chewed, nearly barkless tamarack. Its like a beacon that all the little bog birdies flock too. It has made so many dream photographs of boreal chickadees, pine siskins, pine and evening grosbeaks, hoary red polls, common red polls, white winged crossbills, red breasted nuthatches, gray and blue jays, goldfinches and even pine martin and ermine shots come true. On a -40 degree day in January, you can almost always count on finding a few friendly faces gathered around this tree with license plates representing a few different states. Its about time we give it a little respect here. Once again, this bog icon goes unmentioned in the back ground. I salute that ole Tamarack. A tear will be shed the day when Ole Tammy falls over and sinks into the swamp its not like it can stand forever.

I believe a lot of the owl shots were taken during the year of the big irruption. I have seen them in previous articles he has written about owls and the bog. It was a great presentation none the less.

However, I think that the S. Admiral Tamarack is really the essence of the bog. It is a bog icon, more famous then the birds themselves in my opinion. It may not be spoken of a lot in magazines and articles but it certainly is the most recognizable feature of the bog. If you can't recognize it, you have not "experienced" the bog in its fullest. This tree is comparable to the witch tree on the N.Shore, probably even more famous. I have not seen the witch tree, have no desire but this tamarack has brought smiles to so many faces. Whenever the bog is show cased, you know darn well there is going to be a branch of this tree in there somewhere, somehow, someway. After all where do most of the bog birds sit? Of course on that gnarly, ancient, dead, insect and Dewalt chewed, nearly barkless tamarack. Its like a beacon that all the little bog birdies flock too. It has made so many dream photographs of boreal chickadees, pine siskins, pine and evening grosbeaks, hoary red polls, common red polls, white winged crossbills, red breasted nuthatches, gray and blue jays, goldfinches and even pine martin and ermine shots come true. On a -40 degree day in January, you can almost always count on finding a few friendly faces gathered around this tree with license plates representing a few different states. Its about time we give it a little respect here. Once again, this bog icon goes unmentioned in the back ground. I salute that ole Tamarack. A tear will be shed the day when Ole Tammy falls over and sinks into the swamp its not like it can stand forever.

+1!

Lots of good times had by that old tammy. Hopefully more to come, starting in a few weeks. smile