• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just seconds from glory

Today I set my stand in an area I saw deer in on Friday. I got set up about 2 PM. Other than squirrels running around, it was pretty slow for the first hour. About 3 PM I heard a few grunts way out in front of me. I grabbed the grunt tube and gave a few soft grunts. About 20 minutes later I grunted a few more times. No response yet, just squirrels running around making noise. About 3:45 PM, I am ready to stand up and stretch as I am getting stiff sitting. I once again hear crunching leaves and think "darn squirrels", but then I think I better make sure its not a deer before I get up. Just then I see movement to my right front. I look and say "Oh My God" to myself, it is a very large deer, a big buck with a huge wide rack. He is about 30 yards away behind some small trees. My heart starts pounding hard hard and fast and I tell myself to settle down and do what I've been preparing myself to do. The buck bends his neck down and shakes his head side to side as if to show off his rack. I never counted his points, but when I first looked at his rack and size, I said to myself, here is your wall hanger. I believe he had at least 12 points, maybe 14 and he was very wide. He then starts moving from my right front to my left front. I have already picked a shooting lane where I will shoot when the deer gets there. He will be 25 yards out. I stand up when this buck is behind some small trees. Only thing is this buck has other ideas - He takes a quick left and starts walking right at my tree. I grab the bow and put the release on the string. He is coming from my right front at about a 45 degree angle from my front. I am waiting for the right time to pull back. He gets to 5 yards away and stops. He is looking toward his direction of travel. I pull back, and before I get to full draw, he catches my movement and bolts. GRRRR! A few more seconds and I would have had him. I have never shot a wide racked buck, and this was a great opportunity that slipped away. But in hindsight, it was the biggest thrill I've had in my 4 years of deer hunting, much more so than my previous kills. I hope I can get another chance at this deer, but I am not counting on it. I tell you one thing though, my bowhunting addiction has just reached a whole new level...

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Never draw while they are facing you or even remotly posible to catch any movement.

He'll stay around there, its just starting get back out after him again this week.

Wow great encounter, its sometimes the deer that get away that make deer hunting all the more excited. Even more so up close and personal with a bow and arrow. Like mabr said, learn from your mistakes and next time you might wrap a tag around him.