• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Utility vehicle choice?

JeffB

I'm thinking about getting a John Deere 825i XUV utility vehicle. Does anyone have any experience with them. My number 2 choice is a polaris ranger 800HD. The reasons I'm thinking of going with the JD. Seems like a good solid well built machine. I like the looks of it. I does about 45mph not as fast as the ranger, but not too shabby. It would be handy for service and stuff since I'm in the Deere dealership all the time for farm stuff. I know the sales and service people well, good people. So all that being said would I still be happier with the polaris? It definately a fun and smooth riding unit. Thanks for the input.

johnnyocamogator1.jpg

It looks like a good unit but I have never had the chance to see one in person. One thing I notice right off the bat is the bucket seating?!? I personally don't like it, seems like a waste to not have a bench seat like a ranger. Doesn't seem to have tilt steering like a Ranger or as much leg room from what I see in the picture.

Does the dump box have a handle on each side of the box?? Hard to see from the picture but something to think about.

I have a 2010 Polaris Ranger and LOVE IT!!! It is used 80% of the time for farm use and with the push button 4WD it work really nice when you get into wet area like this fall. Good Luck

+1 for the Ranger. I got a 700 EFI last year for the same reasons. The Polaris is the only model with a bench seat. They will have many more options for add ons if you want to do that. I have a hard cab for mine and wouldn't be without it. 3 choices for drive (1 wheel, 2 wheel or 4). Smooth transmission and plenty of power. The Ranger was the first UTV and have been around for over 10 for a reason.

Between your options I would also stick with the thought of a Ranger for reasons mentioned above. Among other reasons, Deere finally upgraded to a more versatile UTV in the past year and will more than likely have some bugs to work out.

Last year while taking docks out, my parents neighbor had a JD that was fully dressed with the hard cab and the works. They couldn't pull the dock up over the bank (not the greatest terrain). My dad took his Rhino over hooked onto the JD and pulled the whole works up the hill.

I'm not trying to push the Rhino since that's not in your scope. Only stating that the drive systems could use some improvements on the JD. The Ranger will be a better fit for your needs.

If you really wanted to spend some coin on a vehicle with a host of attachments, the Bobcat Toolcat would be my machine of choice. grin

I have the mule and I love it.

The main reason I love it is because I did allot of thinking up front and the mule is the best machine for MY needs. For many out there the mule may not match up to their needs and that is OK, they don’t pay my payments.

You have to look at what YOU are going to use this machine for, and how it fits best in YOUR application.

How much you actually trail ride (play) vs. the utility side of things (work).

Will you trail ride with others (do you need to keep up to them?)

Are the bucket seats enough for you (do you need a bench seat?)

Also note the price of each machine.

What kind of top speed do you really need?

Do you plan to drive this on the roads?

What does your local municipality have restricting you from doing this?

Does the top speed restrict your ability to drive on your local public roads?

Does the width, length, or weight of the machine restrict you in any way?

Will you plow snow with this machine?

Do you trust the dealer? Are they going to take care of you?

This list will be different for everyone.

The trick is to write down what is important to you and find the right machine that works for you.

No mater what UTV you end up with really think about getting a cab for it.

The cabs are very nice and from what I have seen John Deere makes some of the nicest cabs on the market (I have not priced them though).

Finding the machine that is the best match for your needs and budget is what will put a smile on your face. In the end get the machine that is right for you, that may be a gator, or it may not be there are plenty of them out there to choose from.

Yamaha

Polaris

Kawasaki

Arctic Cat

Honda

Kubota

Bobcat

Cub Cadet

John Deere

Etc

My wifey works at a JD dealer, so I can get a good price on the gators, but I went with a new to me 08 Ranger, mostly for the options, independent suspension for trails and the price I got it for along with my needs. Everyone has different lifestyles and will use it differently, pick what YOU will be happiest with,

Think of the John Deere as a golf cart with offroad capabilities, and the ranger as a true offroad machine. Look at were the air intake is on the JD, I believe it is down by the gas fill hole. The JD's are getting better but no where near the ranger yet. If all your going to do is put around the yard the JD is fine, but if your going to work it, check muddy fields, do some wheel/water ditching get the ranger. Everyone says that 45mph is fast enough...make a few road trips more than a mile and you'll appreciate the extra 10mph.

I am no atv expert, but we just spent a weekend using both a Ranger and JD, and I really like the Ranger better. The bench seat is big reason (we were duck hunting, and hauling 3-6 guys in one or two UTVs). The Ranger was more comfy, and it had all the power we needed, and it was only a 400. I like the JD's as well, but if I bought one it would be the Ranger at this time. Good luck!

Well I guess my blood just runs green. I went with the JD 825i XUV in John Deere green with the yellow alloy wheels and just love it. I can't wait to have it on the ice. I might be delusional, but it seems like a great machine to me, but thanks for the advice.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

There are allot of neat features with that gator.

825 is a liquid-cooled, 812cc, EFI, DOHC, Inline Triple, 12-valve motor.

75 amp alternator.

Suspension travel - eight and nine inches front and rear.

two piston hydraulic disc brakes.

Steel skid plate.

Triple-certified roll cage

Sides of the cargo box remove easily converting it to a flatbed

Gas assist tilt bed standard

Two-inch hitch receivers, rear and front Standard

And the added bonus is that you already trust the dealer.

Fall2010165.jpg

Fall2010159.jpg

Fall2010021.jpg

Well here are a couple pics from our big birthday party. I definately fit in this one better than the kids rzr. After having it a week I can tell you a few of the things I like really well. The ride and power is great, like the huge power dump box, turns as sharp as my atv did, nice mounting spot for the winch, 4wd system with locking differential, pickup style tailgate and very comfortable seats. Haven't found anything I don't like, although I think I am going to extend the air intake so it sits behind the drivers seat. Any ways for those in the market for a utv I think its worth a test drive, and deere does have an available bench seat for those that think thats a must I liked the buckets and center console so I think I'll just ad a removable jump seat in the box for when I want extra passengers.