• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blue River Kennels

Hd Wtr Hillbilly

Unfortunalty we had one of our senior ESS go down with a second torn acl this last weekend in South Dakota. I had my 3 year old Welsh to finish off the trip and it was my Father-in-laws ESS that is now going to be retired from hunting.

He was doing some research on breeders and has been talking with Blue River Kennels out of Alexandria area. Anyone had dog from them, how is the hunting instinct, drive, personality, etc.

He is thinking of getting one of their females this spring and I am just curious as to the reputation of the breeder and his dogs.

Any input it appreciated, thanks.

Yeah I know Kenny - I've trained with him off and on for the past three years or so. He's a good guy - he posts on here all the time. I think I've even shot over his dogs - I know I've seen Odie and River run in field trials.

I was hoping he was going to get in on breeding to that "Sweet Pea" dog from Texas but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm sure he has plenty of other good pups either available or coming soon. His dogs are good hunters - a lot of drive and ability. I think they would serve you quite well for hunting.

You should train with him some time - go see his dogs run. In fact, I think he's running them this weekend at the Minnesota ESS trial near Owatonna.

Ahh, now this makes sense." Well except the Sweat Pea thing" I am hoping to provide him with a nice pup. It will be a repeat litter that has worked out great. He will be coming up to see the dogs run after his busy schedule frees up. And as said in other posts we invite anyone to come and train at our club. We train near Montgomery and here at our place as well. I did invite him when he gets his pup. Great group of guy's. I promise he will not be disappointed. Sorry to hear about the ACL thing. I have not ever heard of this on a ESS.

PS Sweat Pea will never be bred, there is not a male on the plannet that matches up with that dog. Well maybe Maynerd. And we do not own her or have ever had her at our place. LOL she belongs in TX.

I have shot over two of Kenny's dogs. Odie and River. The first thing you notice about both dogs is their great temperament. Very nice mannered dogs, my 9 year old daughter was loving all over them and they were returning the favor. In the field they find the birds! Great noses and drive, but also under control.

You will not be disappointed in puppies out of either of these dogs. Good luck and let us know how your new pup turns out.

Ken, I'm fairly new to the Brainerd-Baxter area but am looking for some options to train. I have field bred english cocker and springer. I have had some fun with the hunt tests but would like to give trialing a try. I have gone and watched a couple times. I noted you were in the Alexandria area. Do you have a group that trains in that area? Most of the guys I know have labs and while I can do some training with them, they do not do typically do much with quartering, etc. If there are others in or near my area, I would welcome the opportunity to do some dog training. Thanks. Bill