• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gray Jay

JBMasterAngler

Was just up in the finland/tofte area this past weekend. Seen lot's of gray jays, often swooping right over my shoulder waiting for me to feed them. Are they only around in the fall/winter? I'm up in the arrowhead alot, but only see them in october. Just wondering where they go in the summer.

They're around Finland all year, but they're more conspicuous in fall and winter. Some do migrate here from farther north, so the numbers might even be a little higher in fall/winter.

Gray Jays are awesome birds. I remember one time camping in northern St. Louis County a few of us were feeding trail mix to the Gray Jays. The one guy in the group who thought the whole thing was dumb was just sitting there eating his lunch. About that time, a Gray Jay lands on his wrist and tries to pull the half bratwurst out of his hand. Stupid %@#$% bird!!

Gray jays are on the move a lot more in fall and winter. That's why they're easily found and attracted with food morsels. Plenty of them around all summer, too, as folks who camp up here know, but they have to move in search of food once the weather turns cold. We frequently see them all summer long on photo excursions but can't get them to respond to food until about this time of year.

Come deer season it seems like they are all over the place, and I've had them hop up and down on the deer carcass while I'm starting to field dress it, waiting impatiently for the first items to get tossed out to them. smile

We love to see them whenever we see them. They are the ghosts of the woods.

My dad calls them camp robbers. I have run into a few up in Alaska. They are definitely not shy. I remember having one follow us down a trail for quite a while. He kind of just hopped along about 15 ft behind us. Pretty comical to watch.

we love em,, our daughter thought it was the coolest thing to be able to feed them and have them land on her hand! I got some cool shots of her with a smile so big it melts your heart.

a few years ago, we were cooking breakfast outside on our camp chef, and had a few strips of bacon left in the frying pan (cooled off) well this little guy jumped onto the edge of the frying pan and stole a strip!! our daughter thought it was the funniest thing!! we enjoy them as much as we can, whether it be hunting season or when we're out icefishing and having a shore lunch, they are a great and friendly bird