• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Places to see dogs working

LatLong

My trusty lab is getting old and it's time to start thinking of another dog. I've been around labs since I was born so getting away from a lab is going to be tough, but I want to try something different this time around.

I'm interested in some of the pointing breeds....GSP, Drathaar or maybe a Brittany. I would like to see some of these dogs working before I decide.

Has anyone gone to trials? If so which ones? I'm willing to join some clubs and travel. I want to have my homework done before getting my next dog.

you can go to the AKC HSOforum and see a calendar of events for pointing breeds. Most of these events will have lots of JUNIOR hunt tests entries, and only a few SENIOR and MASTER dogs running. But would be a great point of contact for breeders etc.

You wont be able to see much from the gallery, but there should be lots of handlers of different breeds that you could reach out too. Most of the events for the year are over but starting next spring they will be starting up again. There is lots of down time at these events for handlers when their dogs arent running so dont be afraid to approach anyone. The Senior and Master dogs usually run right away depending on what time of test is being run etc.

You can also contact some of your local NAVHDA chapters to attend some of their TESTs or training sessions.

I cruised the AKC site and it should be a good resource. From the looks of things there are a lot of trials that specialize in one breed.

Would it be wise to go to a trial where I would see a bunch of one breed work or go to a NAVHDA event and see different breeds working on the same day?

they dont necessarily specialize in one breed they just host the trial or hunt test.

For instance the German Shorthaired Pointer of Club of SD will host a hunt test, but any pointing breed is allowed to enter not just GSP's.

Hosting these tests is a usually a good fundraiser for the clubs that host.

AKC pointing dog hunt tests and walking (not horseback) field trials would be a good place to see a variety of pointer breeds, especially the hunt tests. In some hunt tests you can walk behind off at a distance and see what's going on.

Another option is a NAVHDA club.

If you are interested in a versatile breed check out NAVHDA. The training days/weekend start in early spring, sometime in April. The MN chapter holds a few at Four Brooks WMA near Milaca. Then they run tests spring through summer about 1 per month at various locations. If you attend you will primarily see GSP's,GWP's,and a few Griffons, Pudelpointers & Brits.

All of the above options are a great starting point.GL

Thanks for all the input guys.

I've been on NAVHDA's site and a few of the MN club sites. Looks like I'll have to wait for spring to start looking. Does anyone know if you have to be a club memeber to go to the events or can you go as a spectator?

Spectator should be fine, but you can call the person responsible for running the event when the time comes. Info should be on the site after the fall hunting season, check the calender. They do the puppy work really close to the parking area at Four Brooks WMA.

If you are interested in a DD or DK, do a lot of research.

I went to an event as a spectator when I first moved here 5.5 years ago. I was curious about pointing dogs myself. I just showed up at a NAVHDA event with no previous communication. They allowed me to walk behind the judges during a natural ability trial up near Mille Lacs. It was very cool. I walked behind a nice little GSP. That was my first expereince seeing a pointing dog in action. I was hooked the first time I saw her lock up. I did a ton of research from that day on and 1.5 years later I had had my first pointy dog, E Setter, and I now have a 10 mo old pup. I'm not sure all chapters will let you walk behind them but it worked out perfectly for me.

If you are interested in a DD or DK, do a lot of research.

I haven't ruled out a DD yet but from some reading I've done they sound like some of them can be pi$$y. Is this what you are referring to or are there other things that I should look for?

Pi$$y no, in every breed there are always a few bad apples that give'em a bad name. I've only seen a few of them at NAVHDA training days and all of them were very calm nice dogs. I'm talking about some of the other things. Some of the lines have more tracking bread into them for big game work, so I've heard and read. DD breeders will say that their dogs do everything, but some focus on birds and bird hunting, others on the everything and conformation. If you want just a bird dog look into some of the American Wirehairs. DD folks claim that they are different breeds than the Americans. Also a DD pup will often cost double the price of a regular Wirehair, if it matters.

At one time I really wanted a DD, but it didn't happen. The Wirehair I have is 50/50. Sire is from Germany and Dam is NHAVDA American. So far I'm happy with him.