• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springer and Golden together.

Jack Peterson

My 7 week old Springer Spaniel, and my 15 month old Golden Retriever are always playing together when I let the pup outside. I have a few questions, and would like some opinions.

1. My Golden used to roam everywhere, but he was hit by a car and seems to stay home now. Will any of his roaming problems rub off on my springer while they play or only if they roam to the neighbors together (which I won't let happen)?

2. My Golden is gun-shy, no thanks to the neighbors (hit by a .22 and bb guns repeatedly), and is there a way to get him back hunting for pheasants? My Springer is already showing no fear of loud noises, and is very interested in stalking my kittens. If my springer starts hunting next fall, maybe my Golden will want to come with.

3. Is it a bad idea to let my new puppy chew on pants while people are walking? Maybe I should "scold" him.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Quote:
1. My Golden used to roam everywhere, but he was hit by a car and seems to stay home now. Will any of his roaming problems rub off on my springer while they play or only if they roam to the neighbors together (which I won't let happen)?

Every dog is different. I have a relative who I had given a springer as a wedding gift that never left the farm yard until they got another dog to keep her company and then they started to roam and would go for miles. Finally the one dog had to go and after that the springer never ran again. But every dog is different and every situation is different. I would say for the safety of the dog do whatever is necessary to keep them on your property.

Quote:
2. My Golden is gun-shy, no thanks to the neighbors (hit by a .22 and bb guns repeatedly), and is there a way to get him back hunting for pheasants? My Springer is already showing no fear of loud noises, and is very interested in stalking my kittens. If my springer starts hunting next fall, maybe my Golden will want to come with.

You are talking about 2 separate problems.

First- You need to keep the dogs on your property and out of the neighbors property. That being said- yes, there is no reason to believe that the dog will not hunt if handled properly. But you need to condition the guns to the shot if you have any concerns before you take them out and give it a try.

Quote:
3. Is it a bad idea to let my new puppy chew on pants while people are walking? Maybe I should "scold" him.

What do you think? I would suggest it isn't a good thing.

My Golden hasn't left the yard in two weeks since we got our puppy. I lock up the puppy when I'm not playing, and luckily my Golden stays home now! He actually barks at the neighbors when they jog by rather than following them.

The puppy is 7 weeks old now, and he comes to me, and sits on command. Doing very well.