• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs and grouse

Kyle

I have 1 year old golden. I have been training with a dummy covered in pheasants scent. I have been grouse hunting several times now, havent seen much, and am wondering how I can train him to search them out? or is it just something they learn? He can sniff out the dummy with scent on it all day, but being we have seen much for grouse I am wondering if its cuz he isnt smelling them or if they just are not there...?

Id think if you keep going you bound to see a grouse sometime and when the grouse flushes near the dog you take a shot its on then its up to you weather you let him go run after that bird or try to find his friend. take some time and find some grouse they are there just keep going

Does your dog chase rabbits and squirls? Even though you haven't trained him to do so? It is his instict to chase these animals, grouse included. He certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity to chase a grouse, just because he was trained on a pheasant. Unfourtunatly skunks also fall into this catagory frown

Ya he loves to chase those tree rats. Loves chasin geese, and pretty much anything that moves. However, I dont want him to simply chase, I want him to specifically look for grouse and pheasants depending on which one we are hunting...

Kyle,

Have you been to a game farm yet?

Wouldn't hurt to plant a few birds for him to find to refresh the senses and the instincts.

This way you can watch if he is trying to sight them or smell them and work on any deficiencies. You can always clip a wing on the first one to let him get his chase on and practice tracking...