• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springer Spaniel Puppy

Jack Peterson

Just got my springer spaniel puppy today (6 weeks). Very fun, and entertaining little bugger! Any tips on what I need to do first, to start training him for pheasant/duck hunting. In a few weeks, I'm going to start working more on retrieving. I'll be taking him fishing in my boat almost every night, so I plan on bonding with the little guy.

Thanks, Jack.

I have 2 Springers and they are entertaining to say the least.

Since they are high energy dogs I would say that obedience is really the most important thing that you can do to make sure you have a good chemistry. Other than that the most important thing you can do is get them on as many birds as you can after they are trained to the level you want them to be at.

Between my 2 springers their personalities are about as opposite as they could be. The Female is 100% hunter and all she wants to do is find stuff to kill dawn to dusk. Once her feet hit the ground she is on the timeclock and you better be ready to shoot when she is released because if you aren't watching she will pop up a bird right next to the truck and then look at you wondering what the heck you were waiting for. She is also very optimistic about mu shooting abilities and often feels a 50-75 yard shot is well within my range. The male, OTOH seems to know my effective range is 20 yards or less and tends to hedge his bets towards the shorter end of the spectrum. He is in it more to be a buddy and would just as soon ride next to be on the UTV than anything. Both have outstanding noses and will find a bird nearly anywhere. He loves to retrieve, she only does if she has to so we can get back to finding more. Funny how every one is so different. Enjoy him.

First.....let him be a puppy!! I wouldn't work on retrieving yet cause realistically he has no idea what retrieving is about at that age!! first and foremost, you need to bond with the pup and work on obedience and the basic commands such as sit! Also need to work on establishing who is the master and that you are in charge!!

I am surprised they let you take the dog at six weeks old, thats pretty young!

CONGRATS ON THE PUPPY, enjoy him being a little guy cause it goes by fast!!

First let me offer congrats on the new pup. They are fun and it only continues as they get older.

I would suggest the book HUP! It is a great spaniel oriented training book. I agree that the priority for now is letting him be a puppy for at least the next few weeks to a month. I typically did not start formal basic obedience training until they were between 12 - 15 weeks old. Even at this point it was very light obedience trainging with short formal session and if I had dead birds around I would let them smell them and maybe let them try to drag them back to me. Another suggestion I would make is if you have an area around where you live that has knee high grass at the highest and let him run through it. This is fun for them and exposes them to new smells and different environments other then the back yard not to mention the exercise.

I to am suprised that they let you take the pup at 6 weeks. I let my first litter go at 6 weeks and regret it to this day. All my following litters I keep the pups until at least 7 weeks and even then it is a special cirrcumstance when I let them go. Typically it is 8 weeks.