• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS3 No HDMI??

Central Bassman

Update... I had a friend of mine bring his PS3 over last night. Plugged it into my TV using a brand new HDMI cable and all I got was a black screen?!?!? Turned the TV off and on to try to reset the single.... same black screen??!?!?!?!? Now i don't know if its the PS3 or the TV... the HDMI jack lights up with you turn the power on the PS3 just doesn't show any pictures.

Bring your ps3 to his house where he knows it works.....

Sounds to me like your HDMI is shot.

If the RCA cables worked the HDMI should as well, unless that hdmi port got shot. Which is unlikely. I am assuming that if the HDMI output on the ps3 was to short out it would damage the video car thus rendering the RCA cables useless.

does anyone ever notices a difference when running HDMI over RCA? I run RCA and it seems to work fine. Id run HDMI but I do not have a HDMI cable for my ps3

Bring your ps3 to his house where he knows it works.....

Sounds to me like your HDMI is shot.

If the RCA cables worked the HDMI should as well, unless that hdmi port got shot. Which is unlikely. I am assuming that if the HDMI output on the ps3 was to short out it would damage the video car thus rendering the RCA cables useless.

does anyone ever notices a difference when running HDMI over RCA? I run RCA and it seems to work fine. Id run HDMI but I do not have a HDMI cable for my ps3

What do you mean by running HDMI over RCA cables? You can't do that. HDMI is a pure digital signal and the RCA cables would carry an analog signal.

Take your PS3 to your buddies house and try it. Since you have eliminated your HDMI slot, cable and tv set I'm 90% positive that you need to change your settings on your PS3. The problem is you can't see the screen to change them. The easiest way to do it is bring your ps3 to your friends house, or hook it up to another HDTV in the house and change it to the appropiate output settings including the HDMI cable and correct output resilution your tv. My guess is that you have a 1080I tv and your output is is 1080P. The same thing happened to me, and the only way I could correct it was by using another tv in the house.

What do you mean by running HDMI over RCA cables? You can't do that. HDMI is a pure digital signal and the RCA cables would carry an analog signal.

I have had a HDMI TV for some time, but I cant figure out how to run my surround sound with the HDMI for the ps3.. I have been running my RCA cables because of the better sound. *can hear people walking to me or running by me better*

However last night I plugged in my HDMI and wow. Big difference. Just hate the sound coming out of the tv vs my speakers frown

Take your PS3 to your buddies house and try it. Since you have eliminated your HDMI slot, cable and tv set I'm 90% positive that you need to change your settings on your PS3. The problem is you can't see the screen to change them. The easiest way to do it is bring your ps3 to your friends house, or hook it up to another HDTV in the house and change it to the appropiate output settings including the HDMI cable and correct output resilution your tv. My guess is that you have a 1080I tv and your output is is 1080P. The same thing happened to me, and the only way I could correct it was by using another tv in the house.

But if he resets his ps3 back to factory settings when he plugs in the HDMI cable it should sort of auto play and adjust for his tv.

I have had a HDMI TV for some time, but I cant figure out how to run my surround sound with the HDMI for the ps3.. I have been running my RCA cables because of the better sound. *can hear people walking to me or running by me better*

However last night I plugged in my HDMI and wow. Big difference. Just hate the sound coming out of the tv vs my speakers frown

I take it that your surround receiver doesn't have an HDMI input?

If that is the case you need to get an optical digital audio cable to connect your PS3 to your surround receiver. Once connected go into your PS3 Sound settings and setup the audio to come out the optical output. I think with the latest firmware you can setup the audio to be output from both HDMI and optical. Once this is done your games and movies will have 5.1 digital surround sound using your home theater receiver.

I take it that your surround receiver doesn't have an HDMI input?

If that is the case you need to get an optical digital audio cable to connect your PS3 to your surround receiver. Once connected go into your PS3 Sound settings and setup the audio to come out the optical output. I think with the latest firmware you can setup the audio to be output from both HDMI and optical. Once this is done your games and movies will have 5.1 digital surround sound using your home theater receiver.

I use a digital optical as well and it sounds great! I bought a Marantz receiver w/Dolby Digital before HDMI's were out. Not that tough to set up.

It does look like an octopus on steriods back there with all of the different components hooked up. But its worth it for the sweet sound system!!!

I use an optical audio cable too. That was the biggest problem of early adoption of HDMI, most receivers didn't use that for an input. Not sure if that has changed at all or not, but even then, it doesn't make much sense to use an HDMI for audio only...

From everything I've read, the picture quality of component vs HDMI is squadoosh. It's basically the same other than it being bundled into one cable.

All new receivers have HDMI inputs. Run everything audio and video from all devices into the receiver with one output going to the TV. The HDMI carries video and audio and then you let your receiver switch the audio and video for the device that you are watching.

That's correct and what I would be doing if I had a newer receiver!!

Much more convenient with the video switching. Also cheaper and cleaner install, as you only need the one HDMI going to the TV vs all the other cables.