• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rough Running Etec

Crickschop04

I've got a 2004 40hp Etec that has occasionally been running rough, and the last time out it seemed to be running worse than ever. I'm guessing that it has ~30 hours on it, and it had its three year service last summer. I've maybe put five hours on it since. Ran it once in freezing temps last Nov. other than that, its only been run in ideal conditions.

It feels/sounds like it is occasionally missing (slight jerk every 2sec or so), and seems to have too much exhaust/steam coming out the back. I haven't had any lights come on yet so I'm hoping that it isn't anything too major.

There is a few things that I suspect it could be: It doesn't seem like the water pump is going at full speed, when I run it wide open there is a steady stream, but it doesn't SHOOT out like I suspect it should be. The other thing, is that when I was running it in the driveway with the hose hooked up to the port it seemed to be running smoothly, but when I took the cover off, I noticed that there was water spraying inside (don't know if that is normal or not, first time I've ran it with the cover off.) Lastly, when I had the cover off I noticed that the socket that goes over the top spark plug had a dark ring around it (almost like it was getting charred), but the plug was clean.

Any help or suggestions anyone may have would be great!

ya i had 60e-tec for awhile i put a set a plugs in it the 2nd yr it was a huge difference

also check with the guys that did the 3 yr deal..it could be one of those common deals that happens for one reason or the other

i'm no mechanic but i do know they are way to high tec for me to mess with

any problems i go to the experts!!(which so far there hasnt been any)

Do a compression check on the motor. What area is the water coming out of? Are your rpms at top end the same as previous? Is your top speed the same as before? To many stories like these from the etec bunch. At least you didn't blow it up. yet