• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lou Icornice, bonus tag question for you.....

rbs

I thought I would put this up here since it seems like this is confusing from last year. Can you shoot 2 deer in a managed area using 2 bonus tags? Or is it only one bonus tag and if you shoot 2 does you end up using up your either-or tag to do it? I am just wondering because I thought you could not use 2 bonus tags in a managed area, and to clarify obviously you are only allowed 2 deer total in a managed area. I included the other thread so if you wanted to post it on there you could as well. Thanks!

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...nus_tags#UNREAD

I hear what you are saying and that is how I have always thought it was, but my dad called the dnr on this same issue and was told that you can only take 2 deer in a managed area. He said if you choose to take 2 does you can buy 2 bonus permits and just shoot 2 does. Obviously then you can't shoot a buck in that area.

Also now since I bow hunt one area and rifle hunt another area and they are both managed areas....if I shoot 2 deer with my bow can I shoot 2 deer in the next managed area for a total of 4 deer. See what I am getting at? I know you can only shoot 5 total deer in MN and only one can be a buck.

See this is why I would like it clarified. I bow hunt and slug hunt in a loto area....I will be bow hunting Ripley a managed area and I hunt 203 up north which is a managed area as well with bow/rifle...yeah I know my wife says I hunt too much also...lol

You can shoot two "total" from managed area's....

ie: 1 in managed area 000

plus 1 in managed area 0000...now you're done in any managed area.

if you shoot your first deer in a lottery area...you're done in lottery areas...

But you could go and shoot 1,(ONE), more in a "managed" area...if that happens, you're done tagging deer in lottery & managed area's....

But, you could go on to an intensive area and tag up to 3 more deer for your grand total of 5....

Remember...this only applies to "harvesting & tagging" a deer with one of your tags in "most area's" of the state....you can still party hunt in most area's with the proper license and as long as the rest of your party has open tags....

if you shoot your first deer in a lottery area...you're done in lottery areas...

But you could go and shoot 1,(ONE), more in a "managed" area...if that happens, you're done tagging deer in lottery & managed area's....

I think you can shoot 1 in a lotto and then still tag 2 in a managed. You can only take 1 in a lotto but you can take 2 in a managed. I don't think the fact of taking a lotto deer prevents you from taking 2 in a managed, as long as you are following the 1 buck and a total of 5 deer rule. That is the way I interpret the book. I could be wrong but my cabin is in a lotto and my deer camp is managed so I was pretty sure I could stick a doe archery at the cabin and then still take another doe and a buck (or 2 does) rifle in the managed area.

Fivebucks is right. I just got off the phone with the dnr. He said that no matter what managed area I was in 2 deer is the limit. I asked if I took 2 does in a managed area if I could still hunt a lotto area and he said yes but buck only. I guess the book is a little confusing as far as I am concerned, but then again I have never had to worry about this before either.

Geez, I gotta tell ya. I haven't deer hunted now in about 5 years or so, but up until then hunted every year.

Holy Moly, I couldn't even follow this post. Either/or, same sex, managed areas, lottery zone, intensive land, bonus tags, regular tags, doe permit, archery, rifle, muzzleloader, party hunting, youth season...etc....etc crazy

I can see why newcomers might be intimidated.

rbs...that's interesting...I understand the buck part 'cause under the A license you can hunt bucks anywhere in the A zone that season is on...but I then take it that you could shoot a doe in a lotto zone and two more does in a managed zone...plus, you'd still have your regular tag should you see a shooter buck! But if you did all that...wouldn't you be limited to tagging that buck from an intensive area?? You are now, at the limit for lottery areas, at the limit for managed area's...so, you would have to tag the buck from intensive, right? As I read it, it's "any combination" of deer...one in lotto, two in managed, etc....it's not two does and a buck in managed...it's the two does or a buck and a doe...two total, and you are then done in mangaged area's....

I beleive you would be illegal with that assumption. In order to tag a doe in a lotto area you have to be drawn for a doe permit, thus using your main "buck" tag for the lotto doe. You could take 2-does in a managed, 2-does in an intensive harvest, and a buck in a lotto area, or doe if drawn for a permit. You can not use a bonus tag in a lotto area.

Yea, I was assuming that the person had been successful in the lottery drawing for an antlerless permit...But you could still take two antlerless deer in a managed, two more antlerless in an intensive, and then shoot your buck in a lotto zone...but, could you shoot that buck in a managed after you already registered the two-deer limit for managed area's?? I think not....there's alot of scenario's, but I know of at least one person that got nailed for registering too many deer in a managed zone...(it was a combination of...bow-firearm & muzzy)...and the rules clearly state....It's OUR responsability to know!!

STATEWIDE BAG LIMITS FOR DEER

An individual hunter may only tag one legal buck per year, with¬out exception. Note: Although hunters can buy all 3 licenses, the bag limits may not allow all 3 tags to be filled in a single deer area. It is the hunter’s responsibility to know the bag limit for the areas they hunt.

I heard next year they're going to throw in an option that if you shoot a doe before you shoot a buck then you are eligible for an additional half price bonus permit that will be good in managed or intensive area's, regardless of how many deer you have registered...that is... as long as the buck had at least four points over two inches long on each beam and he wasn't directly accompanied by a doe in heat!

grin

Here is thread from last year.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2042474/1

You beat me to posting I WAS WRONG Holy cow, was I wrong. I thought the rule was re-written (by me) to allow 2 BP in managed areas. It wasn't, so you can't do it. I swear I'll fix it next and I apologize up and down for posting incorrect information (Moderator - shoud I delete the other posts?). Again, I'm really, really sorry but it's one of those things that I swore I had done, went back and checked, and go figure I hadn't. Yikes!

You can still mix and match licenses + the bonus permit to kill 2 deer. Examples:

1 Firearm + 1 BP

1 Arch + 1 Firearm

1 Firearm + 1 Muzz

1 Muzz + 1 BP, etc ...

Okay, let the harassment begin!

I thought I would put this up here since it seems like this is confusing from last year. Can you shoot 2 deer in a managed area using 2 bonus tags? Or is it only one bonus tag and if you shoot 2 does you end up using up your either-or tag to do it? I am just wondering because I thought you could not use 2 bonus tags in a managed area, and to clarify obviously you are only allowed 2 deer total in a managed area. I included the other thread so if you wanted to post it on there you could as well. Thanks!

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...nus_tags#UNREAD

Sorry, just saw the post but it looks like the question was answered - yes. The limit is 2, doesn't matter what type or combination of licenses are used. It was changed this year because not allowing 2 BP's in a managed area had been an oversight (if the bag limit is 2, who cares what license types are used?). To be honest, it was the conversation on this board last year that precipitated the change.

I think you can shoot 1 in a lotto and then still tag 2 in a managed. You can only take 1 in a lotto but you can take 2 in a managed. I don't think the fact of taking a lotto deer prevents you from taking 2 in a managed, as long as you are following the 1 buck and a total of 5 deer rule. That is the way I interpret the book. I could be wrong but my cabin is in a lotto and my deer camp is managed so I was pretty sure I could stick a doe archery at the cabin and then still take another doe and a buck (or 2 does) rifle in the managed area.

You are entirely correct. In fact, when this came up last year, I revised the information booklet that I write every year (it's posted here several times) to include specific examples of bag limit permutations. I'll cut and paste it below but will also add that I get it can be confusing if you move around a lot. However, there's no fix to that other than to not allow you to move around or set the bag limits equal across the state, which would never work. Thus, you're stuck with knowing how many deer you can kill in whatever ever area you hunting, even if you don't agree with the bag limit.

Here's the text:

Bag Limits

Bag limits can be confusing if you move around a lot and take deer in more than one area. However, the licensing system is designed to provide for maximum flexibility and allows people to travel and hunt statewide. The trade-off for this flexibility is time spent learning how many deer you can take in an area. The licensing structure is designed to allow for the over-harvest of deer in local areas and it is the hunter’s responsibility to know the bag limit for the areas they hunt. The alternative to flexibility is to limit the number and type of licenses a person can buy, which is the opposite of what hunters have requested. Below is a general explanation of statewide bag limits and what you can and cannot do.

• Only one buck is allowed per calendar year, without exception.

• Although you can buy 3 licenses, the bag limits for individual areas may not allow you to fill all 3 licenses.

• Most Minnesota deer hunters only tag 1 deer. In 2009 individual hunters tagged:

o 1 deer – 86%

o 2 deer – 12%

o 3 deer – 1.5%

o 4 deer – 0.4%

o 5 deer – 0.1%

• The total allowable bag limit for youth antlerless, lottery, managed, and intensive areas is 5 deer.

• Deer area limits are as follows:

o Youth Only Antlerless – 1 buck for adults, 1 either-sex deer for youth who are successful in the lottery. Unsuccessful youth or those who don’t apply are limited to one buck

o Lottery – 1 deer per year in 1 lottery area.

o Managed – 2 deer per year, using any combination of licenses and permits.

o Intensive – 5 deer per year, using any combination of licenses and permits.

o Early Antlerless – 2 extra antlerless deer during this season.

o Metro and Bovine TB – unlimited number of antlerless deer.

• You can mix and match seasons, areas, and permit types to reach fill your tags.

• Bonus permits are not allowed in any youth-only antlerless or lottery areas.

• Examples of what you CAN do:

o 1 lottery, 2 managed, 2 intensive = 5.

o 1 lottery, 1 managed, 3 intensive = 5.

o 1 managed, 4 intensive = 5.

o 5 intensive, 2 early antlerless = 7 (yes, you can do this).

• Examples of what you CAN’T do:

o 1 lottery, 1 youth only.

o 2 lottery.

o 2 youth only.

o 2 managed, 4 intensive = 6.

o 3 managed.

• Important points:

o You can only take 1 deer in any one lottery or youth antlerless area. In other words, you can’t kill deer in 2 different lottery or youth only areas.

o You can take up to 2 deer total in any 2 managed areas. In other words, you can’t kill 2 deer in 3+ different managed areas.

o You can take up to 5 deer in any of the intensive areas. Again, mix and match but don’t exceed the general limit.

I hope that helps.

LOU (or anyone else)- still trying to figure this one out:

Can i tag a doe in a lottery area with my bow and still go to a managed area and tag a buck? if not, a deer in the lottery area is your 'buck'. otherwise, would i put a management tag on the doe from the lottery area as long as i don't take another deer in the lottery zone??? and then i would still have my original archery tag.

thanks

if not, a deer in the lottery area is your 'buck'.

^^this^^

no bonus tags in lottery areas.

So, if you arch a doe in a lotto, you will not be able to arch a buck anywhere in the state. Still could firearm or muzzy a buck in managed or intensive.