• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Rangefinder

gardn184

Hi Guys,

Considering purchasing a rangefinder for hunting. Realistically I won't be heading out west any time soon and I'm on a college students budget so I don't need a high end rangefinder. I'm looking at the Leupold RX-600. I'm primarily a bow hunter but I do some Rifle hunting as well. I have a buddy who is willing to sell me his RX-600 for 140 dollars. I know he takes amazing care of his stuff so its pretty much brand new. I absolutely love my Leupold VX-1 rifle scope so I was steered towards the RX-600. I don't have very much knowledge on Range Finders though so any information is extremely welcome. I hear Nikon makes a very nice finder as well.

Thanks,

Nick

For bow hunting in Minnesota or the midwest I think you will be fine with any working rangefinder. Yeah, the angle correcting versions would be nice, but overall I think they are more of a gimmick. If you do the math, your elevation out of a treestand likely won't change the point of impact by more than a yard or two (Remember, a2 + b2 = c2, so if you are 15 feet up in a tree and you ranged the animal on level ground at 33 yards, your actual range for aiming is 30 yards - not much of a difference).

thanks for your opinion InTheNorthwoods, those were my thoughts exactly, I only hunt 15 feet up at the most so the angle should'nt be an issue, after reading a lot of reviews on it I think that this would be the rangefinder to buy in the lower price level