• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Totally irritated with my lawn company

echo2010

I used to maintain my lawn with Trimec classic , and always used as directed. Well a couple years ago, it wasn't enough and I got a lovely visit from the crab grass gang. I dealt with it and decided the next year to hire my law spraying out.

That was last year.

Thye came and put a preventive down... and several weeks later, a post emergent. These were the 2 sprayings I bought because I actually like having control when my lawn is sprayed.

well last summer, I had large patches of crab grass in the back corners... I called and told them, and they had mentioned coming back out. I don't think they did as I hasd crabgrass after.

This year.. I did the same thing but told them about my crab grass issue last year. She stated she would mention it to the guy applying it and to make sure he applied it evenly etc..

Well they came really late this spring. Later then they should have I am sure. But I paid for my 2 sprayings and hoped for the best.

Well, I have lines of crabgrass.. Like 2 foot lines where he obviously missed.. about every 5 feet.

I live in a town quite small. I have 2 options for lawn care, one uses spray, one uses granules. I prefer the spray since once it dries it is supposed to be safe. I have a dog I walk to a field for a few days to be safe... but the granules can sit forever.

After calling last year about the crabrass and them doing nothing... I am doubting they will do anything about it this year.

Can I get good results doing this myself? I have seen preventives in granule forms. DO they have liquid preventer?

I have trimec crab grass killer all ready to go... if I can get 24 hours without any rain!

i have two labs put round up down waited until dry then let them out. the first day i would walk them to avoid the round up areas but next day they were allowed to go free. Never had any issues with it and actually crabgrass was dead in three days.

I worked for Tru-Green Chemlawn for 3 years. The only way they would come back out for a problem is if you had 4 or more applications. We would always put down the first application with the crabgrass pre-emergent in granular and by the time the 2nd app. was due it would have been liquid because of the weeds popping up. But that would also have a pre-emergent in it. Once the liquid stuff sprayed has dried, you and your dog should be fine to play in the yard. As far as the granular stuff, put it down and let it sit for 5 minutes and you and your dog should be ok. I'm not sure if they have a liquid pre-emergent for the do it yourselfer, but i'm sure they do somewhere. It's too late this year for the pre-emergent, obviously. Spray the crabgrass with the post-emergent but try mixing in some horticultural oil with it. it helps the spray stick to the leaves better.

Yeah I kind of figured a pre emergent wouldn't work yet this year.lol.

I have a crab grass killer waiting for a good stretch of dry days

I do have some quack grass near my driveway and the road. I don't care all that much as it blends ok with the color of my lawn. I have been told it is crabgrass by a passing neighbor... but of course they aren't professionals either.

It seems from the patters in my lawn, no matter what it is... his chemical obviously controlled it in some areas and not others due to the lines in the yard... He didnt seem to overlap or something

I will have to look at the other 2 in google images.

How bad is the crabgrass? Have you tried letting your lawn really grow for awhile? I don't use any fertilizer other than an organic nutriet now because of the kids and dogs - and because I'd rather not if I don't have too. What I do is cut the grass down as short as possible the first time each season and then set the mower on the highest setting, letting it really grow for 3 weeks or so before I mow the second time. Then the highest setting again every week or two the rest of the summer. Leaving the grass grow longer chokes out most of the weeds, has a nicer look and feels better on bare feet in my opinion. The only bad thing is it tends to hide Beagle landmines better. : P

If you do use said earlier lawncare company, i worked for them for 5 years as well, just quit about a month ago. They do have a post-emergent that works pretty well for crabgrass, but as stated you usually need 4 treatments or more for them to guarantee the work. But as you know, if you complain loud enough they'll get 'er done for ya.