• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LCD Monitors

I'm thinking about buying a new monitor. My current monitor (a Dell) does not offer enough controls to allow real tight calibration (its to bright, no contrast adjustment etc). What are you using? Are you pleased with it?

YH, I am using an Acer x233H and it has multiple controls and I still have trouble calibrating it. LCD monitors have given me a lot of trouble since they are so bright. I just bought a Sypder 3 Elite calibration system and it calibrates the colors fine but I still have to adjust the brightness after it finishes. I should have to do that. But anyways, good luck.

Mike, I'm using the same calibration system and even with the brightness turned down as far as it will go it is still to bright. There are some very good monitors available but they are a $1000 dollars plus.

I just bought a Samsung Syncmaster 21.5" widescreen. If your video card can drive HD output I would not hesitate to recomend it.

Check out Microcenter in St. Louis Park. You should be able to find what you're looking for at a good price (less than $400).

edit for spelling

I would have to suggest the Samsung Moniters as well. I sell a lot of things like that, and Samsung has been good to us over the years. I have one of those darn big box discount store moniters (ie Acer) for now, and they suck for calibrating. It is only beacuse I only have so much room for the moment. When I redo my desk, I will be going to a 24 maybe 26" screen, maybe dual screens, or just run a second line over to my TV in the corner of the office for some expaneded desk top options. When working in Photo Shop I generally have multiple windows open so it would be nice to have a second screen.

The best LCDs for photographic work use IPS or PVA screens instead of the cheaper TN screens found on lower priced monitors. These give better color rendition, a wider gamut, and better viewing angles. There is a site called "tftcentral" that has a wealth of information on LCD's and what screens they use. Some of the info is dated but I would not buy a photo LCD with out looking there!

That being said I've been using a BenQ which is a cheaper alternative to the NEC's which are the best screens for photography and graphics. Dell has a couple of models that have great wide gaumet displays.

Look at a wide gamut capability (or extended color gamut). A must is going to be using, as you already mentioned a calibration device. You can't do any serious photo work without it.